Nokona now to make gloves in Mass. as well as Texas

This is an archive section - it is read only

Nokona now to make gloves in Mass. as well as Texas

Postby wickedwoman11 » October 22nd, 2008, 10:48 am

Found this article on the web today
http://www.telegram.com/article/2008101 ... 10427/1116

Looks like Nokona has founded GoodGloveUSA, and will be making its Nokona gloves in both Texas and Mass. now.

I wonder if they will do plant tours there? I did the one at the old factory before the fire, and I always head to Boston once a year for a Sox game. I'd love to take in a tour at this new factory while instate.

On a semi related note, thanks for the tip to call Nokona for new laces rather than email. They arrived as promised. Unfortunately, they are a burnt orangey color and not the light brown I wanted... :cry:
Alas, my glove is better than my game.
Gamer and most prized possession: Nokona Buffalo personalized with my name in script AMG175BF
The "Backup": 2009 Rawlings black GG12XTCB
wickedwoman11
Veteran Glove Poster

Nokona gloves made in Mass?

Postby GloveGypsy » October 22nd, 2008, 1:39 pm

Hello WW11,

Nokona gloves made in Worcester? I think that's a good drive from Boston.

A Nokona glove coming from Mass. just doesn't sound right to me, just like chili sauce shouldn't from from New York City.

I have some Indian Tanned/Wheat laces from Tanner's you are welcome to, but they are thick and will require a break-in. See my XXL in the "Glove Pictures" thread.
-Glove Gypsy
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby JC » October 22nd, 2008, 1:56 pm

Worcester is about an hour west of Boston.
I will be in that area next week.
I will stop by to check it out!
JC
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby docglov » October 22nd, 2008, 2:04 pm

ran a shoe factory in Webster Ma before Rawlings in the 70's. Worcester had the first yellow cast street lights I had ever seen, really a strange light. I don't see how anyone could afford the labor in that area to start up a glove factory
Doc
docglov
Gold Glove Poster

nokona

Postby glovin » October 22nd, 2008, 2:46 pm

ahhhhh...after reading like 2000 posts on nokona, i'm still confused on the gloves they produce...half the people swear by it and its craftsmanship and quality...but the other half said it's wayy to soft and floppy...i realize that the buffalo and kangaroo leathers stretch and become floppy, but i've even heard people say that their walnut leather is on the soft side as well...i'm starting to feel like nokonas are great for playing catch and softball, but a rawlings glove is more suited for hardball? PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong
glovin
Veteran Glove Poster

plant near bahston

Postby softball66 » October 22nd, 2008, 4:21 pm

Doc, had you taken a few nips when you saw the strange l ights?
You people would be SURPRISED if I told you how they were making gloves in the Mass plant. Blew me over. Well...state of art and art of the state.
On the soft vs. hard. Soft breaks down quicker. Nokona's buff and kangy
soft of course, Kangy stretchy. Harder leather, longer to break in but lasts longer.
We call it the three bears story on glove leather, too soft, too hard, just right. I ran into this all the time selling gloves via mail or on ebay. Flat pictures don't tell you how the glove's gonna feel on the hand.
Hope this helps. :roll:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby BuffaloGlover » October 22nd, 2008, 7:06 pm

One good thing coming out of this is that it sounds like Nokona is pulling production out of China, and bringing it all back to the USA. Hope the quality doesn't suffer because of the new/increased production. I spoke with a Nokona dealer a few weeks ago, and he indicated that they were selling every glove they could make at the Texas factory, and could not keep up with demand. I know they are finally getting some respect and popularity with men's softball. Now I am not the only one out there touting them.
BuffaloGlover
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: plant near bahston

Postby glovin » October 22nd, 2008, 7:27 pm

softball66 wrote:Doc, had you taken a few nips when you saw the strange l ights?
You people would be SURPRISED if I told you how they were making gloves in the Mass plant. Blew me over. Well...state of art and art of the state.
On the soft vs. hard. Soft breaks down quicker. Nokona's buff and kangy
soft of course, Kangy stretchy. Harder leather, longer to break in but lasts longer.
We call it the three bears story on glove leather, too soft, too hard, just right. I ran into this all the time selling gloves via mail or on ebay. Flat pictures don't tell you how the glove's gonna feel on the hand.
Hope this helps. :roll:

yea...to tell you the truth...nokona gloves simply feltl amazing when i tried it on in the store, or at least the kimera ones did, which is why i reaaaallly want one...HOWEVER, i also noticed that it was pretty much broken in at the store, which makes me think that it's bound to get too soft...ahhh, dilemma!...probably gonna buy 2 more rawlings then a nokona...i swear this stuff is addicting
glovin
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby awarsoca » October 22nd, 2008, 8:38 pm

BuffaloGlover wrote:One good thing coming out of this is that it sounds like Nokona is pulling production out of China, and bringing it all back to the USA. Hope the quality doesn't suffer because of the new/increased production. I spoke with a Nokona dealer a few weeks ago, and he indicated that they were selling every glove they could make at the Texas factory, and could not keep up with demand. I know they are finally getting some respect and popularity with men's softball. Now I am not the only one out there touting them.

This is good and bad. Both of the little sporting goods stores in Columbia, SC are no longer carrying Nokona. They take too long to supply the gloves for the customers. I bought a Nokona Buffalo purely on feel because I could try it on in the Store. No way Dick's will have Kimera or Bloodline available in store. Wearing the buffalo glove, It's like putting mink on your hand (c:
awarsoca
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Bubdoggy » October 28th, 2008, 9:29 am

Awarsoca,
Maybe you and me can convince Nokona to start a plant here in the Palmetto State. Only problem, I'd go broke because I'd want to keep everything I made.
Southpaw in South Carolina
Bubdoggy
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: nokona

Postby glovemedic » October 28th, 2008, 6:08 pm

glovin wrote:ahhhhh...after reading like 2000 posts on nokona.....half the people swear by it and its craftsmanship and quality...but the other half said it's wayy to soft and floppy.....i'm starting to feel like nokonas are great for playing catch and softball, but a rawlings glove is more suited for hardball?

I started out w/ Rawlings, used an Akadema for a couple seasons, flirted with Glovesmith. I am back to Rawlings HOH and don't expect to change again. I have tried Nokona gloves on in the store, caught a few balls in the field but never got that "special fit" that said get this glove and use it to play with.
Chuck Faulkner
The Glove Medic
Tazewell, TN 37879

http://www.glovemedic.com
glovemedic
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby ser182 » October 31st, 2008, 3:01 pm

i havetried them all too but ended up with Nokona. I have a Roo and Buff and they both have held up great. My love with rawlings went away when they stopped making gloves here. I will never put another glove on my our my sons hands(i have three boys). Hey they are american made by hand. what else do you want.
27 oz OG Extended
27 oz Freak 98
27 oz DeMarini Juggernaut
26 oz Catty asa
26 oz Mayham 7M 98
24 oz DeMarini Onyx
Nokona AMG-175 ROO CW
Nokona AMG-1200 BFC-WC
De Marini 13" glove ecco leather
ser182
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Turn_Two19 » October 31st, 2008, 10:43 pm

Seems like the beginning of a trend...

I saw Akadema's recent catalog and see that they are making gloves in the USA as well.

I can't wait to see their gloves because I've always felt that the Akadema designs and craftsmanship can stand with any of the big guys.

I love the fact that companies are making gloves in the U.S. again.
Turn_Two19
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information