horween

This is an archive section - it is read only

horween

Postby glovin » October 20th, 2008, 9:44 am

ok...so according to ryan farrar from rawlings...the black HOH gloves are still from Horween...just not the oxblood hoh's...also, the hoh dual core ones are from horween as well...so i guess the difference between the HOH's now and the ones "back in the day" is that the ones now are injected with oil...which leads me to question...if they're still from the same company...who says the new oil injected horween leather won't last as long as the old ones?
glovin
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby docglov » October 20th, 2008, 10:35 am

mainly because the glove leather has been softened up to please the new generation also throw in there EPA changes ordered in the 80's to the tanning process. do what you want, but the truth is the harder the glove the longer it will last The code 5 and 55 remain tough because we don't retail it it doesn't have to be play ready off the shelf
Doc
docglov
Gold Glove Poster

Postby glovin » October 20th, 2008, 2:11 pm

code 5 and 55?
glovin
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby docglov » October 20th, 2008, 3:18 pm

code 55 has a small amount of oil in it, Probably the best option
docglov
Gold Glove Poster

Postby oakfan33 » October 22nd, 2008, 12:51 am

Now I'm confused. On another thread about a Rawlings PRO3026JB, the "J" stands for Japan made and said to be not made from horween. This is a black HOH glove. On this thread, Ryan Farrar from Rawlings says black HOH are from horween. Maybe the ones he is referring to don't have a "J" in the model number?

If the "J" model gloves are Japanese made, would these be a better made glove than ones made in the Philipines? I have read alot of threads where people are just raving about Japan made modern gloves.
oakfan33
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby glovin » October 22nd, 2008, 1:45 am

hm...i bought a rawlings pro200-9jb and i asked ryan if that glove was made from horween and this was the response i got from him:

"The black HOH gloves are still from Horween. Also the new HOH Dual Core
gloves are from Horween. The Burgundy HOH gloves are not from Horween, but
are still selected from the top 5% of the cow hide selection."

About the craftsmanship...a lot of people care about where the glove was made...personally, i believe that a good baseball glove can be made anywhere, for we have seen quality gloves produced from Japan, US, Taiwan, Mexico, and yes, even the Phillipines
glovin
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby docglov » October 22nd, 2008, 8:51 am

Don't want to get in this very far but the Japan gloves are no better made than any one elses I'm not in marketing so no clue what goes on behind closed doors but in the past the J stood for Japan HOH and not Horween you don't see any other countrys letter there Like Pro 200 u for united state , or pro 200 9 pb fror Phiillipines so why a J. But I could be wrong on this.( no likely)
Doc.
docglov
Gold Glove Poster

Horween and Wison?

Postby space50 » October 23rd, 2008, 9:37 pm

Does anyone know if Wilson used Horween leather in their made in USA A-2000's?
space50
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby candlestick » October 23rd, 2008, 10:48 pm

Wilson did not use Horween leather in their USA A2000. Off the top of my head I believe it was Ansonia leather or something along those lines.
candlestick
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby docglov » October 24th, 2008, 8:23 am

Wilson in the old days leather called Ross I don't believe they are still around, was a lot likeHorween but had a wax feel

Doc
docglov
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information