weighty matters

This is an archive section - it is read only

weighty matters

Postby spedrunr » October 17th, 2008, 1:54 am

as some of you know, i have this rediculous obsession with numbers. i was curious about how much gloves weigh. so i started weighing my glove collection using a postal scale. so far what i've come up with is:

the lightest gloves in my collection are (i've only weighed about 20 gloves)

1) pro6XBCB = 18.1 oz (1lb. 2oz.)
2) A2000 1625 = 18.2 oz.
3) A2000 1373 = 19.1 oz.

and the heaviest

4)PRO-RV23B = 23.5 oz. (i always wondered what the 23 meant)
3)PRO-1005HF = 24.1 oz.
2)PRO-T = 24.3 oz. (my original '84 gamer)
1)PRO-H = 25.5 oz.

the average is 21.9 oz.

now for you youngins, it probably doesn't make a hill of beans of a difference. but with my mid-40's reaction times i think it's the difference between getting a shoe-string catch in the outfield or taking it on the bounce. if you're a pitcher or infielder you might be more likely to knock down a line drive get smacked by it :roll:

that being said, i used my 13.5" 21.9 oz. mizuno GOC5 with the nylon back (to make such a lucky?) catch last friday in a D-league softball game in R-center.

anybody else care if they use a light or heavy glove? does 6-7 oz matter?

spedrunr
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby glorydays » October 17th, 2008, 9:50 am

^^^^great post.

I think weight does matter for your reasons stated if you have 2 or more gloves. But i think it all comes down to how the glove looks and then feels on my hand before weight comes in as a factor before i purchase.

Then because you've bought the glove/gloves, it's a matter of weight/preference or how the wind is blowing that day...

But then again, i would use the pro-6 everyday ;)

my .02 cents...
-Junior
glorydays
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby wjr953 » October 17th, 2008, 10:11 am

The weight of the glove really makes no difference to me personally but then again, I currently do not play in any competitive leagues. I use my glove(s) mostly at practices that I'm coaching or when playing catch with my son or one of my grandsons.

This is a great question, and the guys that play or are still playing in competitive baseball/softball leagues really should "weigh in" on this one. Your thought process may have some merit though, a lighter glove may help you in game situations, but when you come right down to it, isn't it really about the individual player's reaction time?

br
wjr953

Postby Paulypal » October 17th, 2008, 11:05 am

I dont think it matters at all for an outfielder. There is plenty of time for reaction and compensation of glove weight.

Infield gloves are generally much smaller/lighter so I am not sure if it matters or if it does how much.

Thirdbaseman and firstbasemen survived the "steroids are rampant era" - and the rockets that were hit with leather gloves. (now there are still roids but just not as obvious) In the firstbasemen's case they were using their much bigger/heavier gloves.
Paulypal
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby candlestick » October 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm

Weight matters to me. 2 years ago I was getting over a tear in the decelerator muscles in my throwing shoulder. There was no way I could function in my traditional outfield position so I moved to pitcher. WOW! Things come at you a lot faster at the number one position compared to seven through ten. I played with a cheap Champro 13" glove that I liked b/c of the way it felt on my hand (and it was all I could afford when I purchased it in grad school). I recognized that although that glove was large it was light and there were more than a few times that I snagged a ball on reflexes only and if I had been any bit slower it would have been past me or tipped to another portion of the infield.

Confidence first, weight second but yes weight matters.
candlestick
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby spedrunr » October 17th, 2008, 12:20 pm

Paulypal wrote:I dont think it matters at all for an outfielder. There is plenty of time for reaction and compensation of glove weight.

true, reaction time and the amount of time to get to the ball differs from infield v. outfield. but, my theory that an outfielder (such as myself) would benefit from a lighter glove because:

1) as i'm running towards the ball, i don't have the glove extended (i learned that from my dad, it slows you down). so, if the amount of time it takes (fractions of a second) to extend the glove at the precise moment to snag the ball

2) and it results in a "snow cone" catch vs. the ball glancing off the tip of the fingers/web and careening wildly into the outfield wall....

this of course never happened to me, thanks to my 1oz. lighter glove haha
spedrunr

Postby offsidewing » October 17th, 2008, 12:42 pm

So you got "f*ck face's" Pro-1005BF. Us 30-somethings (and baseball card shop creepy guys) know about "FF."

I have a thing for PRO-1005's.
Aim for the corners and let the middle take care of itself.
offsidewing
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby quaz95 » October 17th, 2008, 12:58 pm

:?: guess i missed that one?
"To live is Christ to die is Gain."
quaz95
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Cowboy7130 » October 17th, 2008, 3:02 pm

offsidewing wrote:So you got "f*ck face's" Pro-1005BF. Us 30-somethings (and baseball card shop creepy guys) know about "FF."

Reference to a Bill Ripken baseball card. Someone, whether Ripken or not, had written "f--- face" on the bottom of the knob of Ripken's bat in bold black ink. As he held the bat in his stance to have his baseball card picture taken, it was in plain view. IN SPITE OF ALL THIS, nobody ever caught it before the cards were printed, and there were a bunch of "FF" cards that made it into circulation.

Or that's the rumor as I have heard it. 8)
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Postby edingc » October 17th, 2008, 3:10 pm

offsidewing wrote:So you got "f*ck face's" Pro-1005BF. Us 30-somethings (and baseball card shop creepy guys) know about "FF."

1989 Fleer #616

The original, uncensored version is still worth the most I believe. Unfortunately I have the less rare blacked out one, but copies with white out and marker scribbles exist as well and are more valuable.

In addition to the Ripkin, the set also has a Griffey Jr. rookie card.
Cody Eding
edingc
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby glorydays » October 17th, 2008, 4:15 pm

FF card.. that was the must have card for that year... so are mine worth anything?
glorydays
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Paulypal » October 17th, 2008, 4:20 pm

I have used several different gloves in the OF in the past few year including a Primo. I never felt at any disadvantage with it.

In the infield I am using a Pro Pref.

Any idea on the weight of the pro pref or the primo?
Paulypal
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby quaz95 » October 17th, 2008, 5:25 pm

i remember the ripken card now, those where my prime collecting days, i loaded up on them and look at me now i got a bunch of card board squares that are only good for fireplaces. I could prob. sell my collection for about 50 bucks.

john
"To live is Christ to die is Gain."
quaz95
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby RedSoxFan81 » October 17th, 2008, 5:25 pm

Here's my input, and mainly is just a personal opinion. If you aren't using the glove for competitive game use don't even worry about weight. Then you can focus more on feel and appearance. Now if it's for a gamer glove and it's for either competitive softball or baseball I'd say a lighter glove does matter for sure.Especially playing infield or pitcher because of some of the missles that get hit at you. I play SS and 3b competitively in softball. It's only 60ft bases. Many of the tournaments are using softballs that are very hard, and most teams are using bats that have been altered to increase performance or even painted bats of banned models. Some absolute missles get hit at me, so the lighter my glove is will definitely help me since I have such a short amount of time to react and get my glove where it needs to be.The fields are all dirt infield too, usually hard too so the ball doesn't slow down much at all. Right now I have a pro issued pro preferred that i'm using. It's fairly light, and I probably will be ordering a custom glove w/ mesh backing to lighten up a bit. I will also vouch that my A2000's like posted above are some of the lightest gloves I've owned.Even my 12.5" outfield A2000 from college is light for it's size.
RedSoxFan81
Gold Glove Poster

Postby spedrunr » October 17th, 2008, 6:17 pm

hey RSF81, i would have expected to see a list of bats that you have in your bag on ea. of your posts :wink:
spedrunr

Next

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information