Varitek's Mitt (Redux)

This is an archive section - it is read only

Varitek's Mitt (Redux)

Postby BretMan » October 7th, 2008, 12:06 pm

We've commented here before on Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek's loosely strung web. Now, it looks like his strange mitt preference may have led to a controversial call in last night's American League playoff game!

I wonder if that ball would have popped out if his web was tightly laced?
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby edingc » October 7th, 2008, 2:54 pm

Tough call, with the way his hand hit the ground it may not have mattered. A well placed bump could have caused the glove to open slightly and let the baseball out - tight laces or not.

Either way it was the right call. The ball was still clearly in Varitek's possession when he made the tag.

Furthermore, if Aybar wouldn't have missed a very buntable ball this wouldn't even be an issue :)
Cody Eding
edingc
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » October 7th, 2008, 11:53 pm

One of those obscure tips I remember from somewhere in my 30 years of playing ball- if you dive for a ball, try not to let your elbow hit the ground as it is likely to jar the ball loose.

Of course, Varitek wasn't diving for a catch- he already had the ball and was tumbling out of control after his lunging tag attempt. But is sure did pop out when his elbow hit the ground!

In real-time, at full speed, I can see the average fan- well, maybe the average Angels fan!- thinking that L.A. got jobbed on that call. Subsequent replays- and a knowledge of how this is supposed to be ruled- show that the umpire got it right.

The accepted Major League interpretation is that on a tag (which has a different criteria than a catch of a batted ball) the fielder need only demonstrate control of the ball during the tag itself. If he maintains control of the ball during the tagging action, dropping it after that point is moot. The tag has already been made and the runner is already out, so the drop after-the-fact means nothing.

Replays show the umpire pointing to signal the tag and calling the out on the initial tag, with the runner still about 6-8 feet away from the bag. Varitek has the ball securely held at that point. His momentum carries him forward another 8-10 feet before he hits the ground and the ball pops out. When the ball left his glove, his mitt was a good two feet past third base.

TV loves a good controversy and nothing magnifies a controversy like a playoff game on a national stage. The right call was made and all the media attention is much ado about nothing. Still, I can't help but wonder if the whole thing could have been avoided if Varitek would just tighten up those darn laces!
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan

Re: Varitek's Mitt (Redux)

Postby spedrunr » October 8th, 2008, 1:11 am

BretMan wrote:We've commented here before on Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek's loosely strung web.....I wonder if that ball would have popped out if his web was tightly laced?

i'm in favor of the loosely laced web....makes sense from a physics standpoint haha
ImageImage

i can't take credit for it, i first saw it from an ebayer with a proH
:roll:
spedrunr

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information