Travel to Nocona

This is an archive section - it is read only

Travel to Nocona

Postby softball66 » September 27th, 2008, 8:24 am

I will be going to Nocona for a plant visit in early October, take some photos, check things out.
It's been over a year since my last trip there.
Is there anything forum members want me to ask or look into while I'm there?
Joe P.
email me at glovecollector@mac.com
or drop your comment or question here on the forum
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » September 28th, 2008, 12:17 am

Hey, Joe...

Ask if they'll send me a couple dozen new gloves to try out and about 500 new laces!
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan

Postby wjr953 » September 28th, 2008, 12:57 am

Softball66,
I would appreciate it if you could extend my personal condolences to the powers that be over there for the losses that they sustained in that big fire. Especially the loss of their top notch customer service department, it seems that went up in smoke as well. You can tell them for me that my next new glove will NOT be a Nokona, but please be sure to send them my regards. Now where is that Rawlings catalog that I was looking at.....,

br
wjr953

Postby candlestick » September 28th, 2008, 2:59 pm

Say, I have to wonder what wjr953 is referring to about the loss of Nokona's top notch customer service department. I recently had my N80 relaced, repadded and piping partially replaced and I have absolutely no complaints. Patty at Nokona was fantastic at communicating with me both before and after the repairs, the repair shop did everything she said they would and more - all for a very reasonable price. If they had better customer service before the fire I cannot imagine what it would be like.

My next glove was a Nokona - although it was not a new one.

Joe I would ask them to assist you in any way possible on the history of Nokona gloves, from past to present, so you can get that book out!

Thanks for asking us.
candlestick
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby ser182 » September 28th, 2008, 10:56 pm

I was wondering if you can ask them if they will make a full glove out of horween leather. Will they have on their website where you can buy direct from? i wish they would do away with the velcro on their amg line.
Will we see a line of Kip leather gloves?
27 oz OG Extended
27 oz Freak 98
27 oz DeMarini Juggernaut
26 oz Catty asa
26 oz Mayham 7M 98
24 oz DeMarini Onyx
Nokona AMG-175 ROO CW
Nokona AMG-1200 BFC-WC
De Marini 13" glove ecco leather
ser182
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby ser182 » September 28th, 2008, 11:04 pm

Also ask if they will be making the Amg- 175 in the bloodline and Kimera gloves. this is the best style
27 oz OG Extended
27 oz Freak 98
27 oz DeMarini Juggernaut
26 oz Catty asa
26 oz Mayham 7M 98
24 oz DeMarini Onyx
Nokona AMG-175 ROO CW
Nokona AMG-1200 BFC-WC
De Marini 13" glove ecco leather
ser182
Rookie Glove Poster

making notes

Postby softball66 » September 29th, 2008, 12:06 pm

Hope I can remember all this, a string for each finger. So sorry about the
service problem. They've been great for me including Patty on my last AMG600 CW re do. But you know, sometimes things happen.
If i can get a get go, the Nocona History is written and I have the pictures.
keep your fingers crossed. Great story. And I loved Doc Hughes book if you've never read it. He was a character and helped put Nocona on the glove, sporting goods map.
:roll:
softball66

Nokona Gloves

Postby GloveGypsy » September 29th, 2008, 1:28 pm

Hey Joe,

I have a few questions:

How long will Nokona be making the "Limited Edition" buffalo hide gloves?

Nokona has unique (some would say unconventional) styles, are there any plans to offer different (more traditional) styles? For instance, I would like an open back "I" web in buffalo hide.

Also, most of the Nokona gloves that I have had on my hads have tight finger stalls. Is that because their primary market is women softball players?

Finally, how is it going with their private $$ investors from the Boston area? A happy marriage, or a "deal" with the devil?
-Glove Gypsy
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby glovemason » October 6th, 2008, 9:17 pm

Where do they get there leather from? I love the stuff! It appears different from Horween.
glovemason
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby wickedwoman11 » October 7th, 2008, 5:32 am

candlestick wrote:Say, I have to wonder what wjr953 is referring to about the loss of Nokona's top notch customer service department. I recently had my N80 relaced, repadded and piping partially replaced and I have absolutely no complaints.

Hmm, I have always been a big fan but less so lately. I sent them an email about their clothing line about a month ago and never got a response. I sent them another email just the other day asking if I could purchase a couple of the laces used in the buffalo gloves that also went unanswered.

In the past they were terrific, sending me free laces and catalogs, I even sent them a letter a few months ago thanking them for great service. But I do have to admit, it has been a bit more erratic lately.

On that note, since they did not reply, anyone know where I can get a couple of laces for my buffalo glove? :D
Alas, my glove is better than my game.
Gamer and most prized possession: Nokona Buffalo personalized with my name in script AMG175BF
The "Backup": 2009 Rawlings black GG12XTCB
wickedwoman11
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby awarsoca » October 7th, 2008, 11:57 am

call them, don't email them. I got my laces in less than a week, They sent enough to redo the whole glove
awarsoca
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Brotherray » October 7th, 2008, 2:56 pm

I recently picked up a Nokona AMG 125 from PIAS. The glove is in great condition and the leather smells great. Since I'm a Rawlings guy and don't know very much about Nokonas, I e-mailed them requesting any information they could provide on the glove. Shirley Wilborn replied ten days later and gave me complete info on the glove.
Brotherray
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Moonlight Graham » October 7th, 2008, 4:33 pm

Hey Joe, could you take more pictures of the inside of the factory? You know, people at work, the different steps of the making of a Nokona glove, the machines they use, the techniques they master, stuff like that. That would be great to show my pupils!
Moonlight Graham
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby wickedwoman11 » October 9th, 2008, 4:08 am

awarsoca wrote:call them, don't email them. I got my laces in less than a week, They sent enough to redo the whole glove

Thanks, I will try that. I'm out of the country now, so the time difference is screwy, but me being impatient I'm more likely to call from overseas so that if they send them they are waiting for me when I get home. If I wait until I get back, I'd have to wait impatiently by the mailbox to receive them. Sigh. Patience is most definitely not my virtue.

Still, even though I didn't get responses to my emails, I really really love that glove. I even just bought a purse because it was made of the same color leather. I think I need to go to Gloveaholics Anonymous. And since I love my glove, I love Nokona...

If that Nokona book gets published, count me in as a definite buyer. I can't count the times I've read my dog-eared copy of Noah Lieberman's Glove Affairs... :)
Alas, my glove is better than my game.
Gamer and most prized possession: Nokona Buffalo personalized with my name in script AMG175BF
The "Backup": 2009 Rawlings black GG12XTCB
wickedwoman11
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BuffaloGlover » October 9th, 2008, 10:06 am

Not sure if this is too late for you Joe, but I would ask them a question regarding their "Wrecking Crew". The only one of the 3 that uses their bats somewhat consistently is Miguel Cabrera. I have seen many Angels and Red Sox games and Vlad is always using an "X" bat, and Big Papi uses Rawlings. If they are endorsing these players, why aren't they using Nokona bats? Maybe their contracts are structured that way, but it took Nokona a long time to endorse pro players again. I love Nokona, but as a small company, I would prefer to see them endorse players who use their products. Looks like their glove guys are using them so that's a good thing.
BuffaloGlover
Veteran Glove Poster

Next

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information