Travel to Nocona

This is an archive section - it is read only

Postby GloveGypsy » October 10th, 2008, 5:36 pm

Hello Buffalo Glover.

What players are wearing Nokona gloves these days?

Todd Walker wore one, but I did not notice anyone with one on this year.

So, WW11, I see that you are looking for more laces for your "Buffalo Baby." Does this mean you pulled the chocolate laces out?
-Glove Gypsy
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby awarsoca » October 10th, 2008, 9:17 pm

I swear I saw a pitcher using one this year but I can not for the life of me remember who, or even for what team
awarsoca
Gold Glove Poster

Postby MVALZ » October 10th, 2008, 9:25 pm

Closer for the Royals Joakim Soria used a black Nokona mod trap
- A baseball glove is a beginning and an ending: a boy's first sure step towards manhood; a man's final, lingering hold on youth; it is promise...and memory.
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby wickedwoman11 » October 11th, 2008, 4:41 am

GloveGypsy wrote:So, WW11, I see that you are looking for more laces for your "Buffalo Baby." Does this mean you pulled the chocolate laces out?

It does. I liked the color of the chocolate laces a lot, but you know, it just never really felt like MY glove. I kept them in there for quite a while, but every time I looked at it, it felt like a kick to my chest. I agree that aesthetically, the chocolate was very attractive, and the majority of the folks on the board, as well as my family members, all thought it looked good. But it just never seemed like my beloved glove, it felt like a very good looking imposter.

So I tried tan but they were so orange looking. Turns out the underside of the tan (the suede side) was a light brown that looked a lot like my original laces did. So I redid the glove using the suede side, and lo and behold, my baby was back. Unfortunately, I was about two laces too short. So I used the underside of some Tandy tan laces but they are really yellow.

I emailed Nokona about a week ago and never heard back, so I asked my spouse to call for me (I am overseas right now and so the call would cost a lot less back home). I am in fact off to check my email to see if my beloved honey made the call or if I have to wait until I get home to call myself. :D
Alas, my glove is better than my game.
Gamer and most prized possession: Nokona Buffalo personalized with my name in script AMG175BF
The "Backup": 2009 Rawlings black GG12XTCB
wickedwoman11
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BuffaloGlover » October 11th, 2008, 11:08 am

GloveGypsy wrote:Hello Buffalo Glover.

What players are wearing Nokona gloves these days?

Todd Walker wore one, but I did not notice anyone with one on this year.

Hey GG,

Yeah, Todd Walker was their first endorsee a few years ago. Now Joakim Soria of the Royals and Ryan Franklin of the Cardinals are using them. In pre-season, I saw a Cubs minor league outfielder using a buffalo 12.75 mod trap, but I never caught his name.

BuffaloGlover
Veteran Glove Poster

He's baaack

Postby softball66 » October 13th, 2008, 6:53 pm

didn't have time enough with Robby on this trip. Got some quick answers.
1. All Horween leather glove? Yes, that is being taken under consideration.
2. Mike line of Kip Leather gloves? likely no. they've go the tan leather gloves out though
3. Make an AMG175 in Bloodline or Kimera? Probably not, this 175 has been around for nearly 30 years. Not as popular a pattern as others in Nokona line.
4. Limited edition line of Buffalo Leather? Possibility on that. 2009 will mark 75th year for ball gloves at Nokona and company is planning a line of limited edition 75th anniversary gloves. That sounds exciting.
Nokona has long been experimenter with different hides and mixing the cowhide with Kangaroo leather for different purposes, durability on the front and light weight and suppleness on the back. Hence the Kimera and Bloodlines (not necessarily to compete with Rawlings Primo) line, a weight and design for each position on the field from 2nd base to outfield.
Finger stalls smaller in Nokonas? Robby says generally they're comparable with the competition.
In the Nokona FP (fast pitch) series for ladies, he says, "we do use a padded Coolmax to make them a little smaller."
Took my digital camera up with me and the battery went dead before I could get inside the plant.
We HAVE revised the Nocona History book project and I'm working on that as I write.

:lol:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Forgot to mention

Postby softball66 » October 13th, 2008, 6:55 pm

On the wrecking crew use of the Nocona maple bats? Robby says that the endorsement contracts are being written now so that the player is NOT obligated to use the glove or bat he endorses. So the wrecking crew lads may or may not be using a Nokona bat.
softball66

Postby bledwett » October 13th, 2008, 9:00 pm

I should have had you asked them about there patterns since the fire, I am a huge nokona lover, have about 100 new models, and since the fire the patterns seem off to me. I bought a KIMERA 12.75 TRAP WEB, I never buy outfielders models but I had a 30% coupon from Dicks so I bought it. I love it but its probably at most a 12.25 and thats being nice. I was going to selll it to make a profit but its a perfect pitchers glove, I am going to buy another, much nicer than any model on the market. I had practice a couple days ago and was fighting people off it
bledwett
Rookie Glove Poster

on the measurements

Postby softball66 » October 14th, 2008, 12:39 pm

Although I didn't ask them anything specifically about the dies, I DID SEE lots of melted aluminum dies that they had been using prior to the fire.
Would assume that they had to order new dies, adjust some of the patterns since that fire destroyed many, therefore the sizing difference. Just a guess.
Joe
softball66

Postby BuffaloGlover » October 15th, 2008, 1:56 pm

Joe,

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate you taking the time to ask all those questions. Can't wait to see what they have line up for the 75th ann. glove.

bledwett wrote:I should have had you asked them about there patterns since the fire, I am a huge nokona lover, have about 100 new models, and since the fire the patterns seem off to me. I bought a KIMERA 12.75 TRAP WEB, I never buy outfielders models but I had a 30% coupon from Dicks so I bought it. I love it but its probably at most a 12.25 and thats being nice. I was going to selll it to make a profit but its a perfect pitchers glove, I am going to buy another, much nicer than any model on the market. I had practice a couple days ago and was fighting people off it

Actually I have had several 12.75 full traps from before the fire, as well as after. Still have a pre-fire Buffalo one that barely measures 12". The post-fire one measures barely past 12". I have tried on about 8 or 9 of those models and every one has very small finger stalls, almost like a women's fastpitch glove, a small pocket, and measures smaller than advertised. Their 12.75" mod trap's do not seem to exhibit any of those issues. Those Kimera's are sweet though!
BuffaloGlover
Veteran Glove Poster

Nocona Trip

Postby GloveGypsy » October 15th, 2008, 5:25 pm

Joe,
Thank you for asking those questions on our behalf. Hopefully, Mr. Storey will consider some of the anecdotal comments and constructive input from the glove collector community in his business decisions.

WW11- isn't it great when you can change and then unchange the look of your prized possession with little cost and effort?

Whenever I drop one of my gloves on the floor, I am grateful that I collect leather ball gloves instead of porcelain!!!!
-Glove Gypsy
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: Nocona Trip

Postby wickedwoman11 » October 20th, 2008, 7:49 am

[quote="GloveGypsy"]WW11- isn't it great when you can change and then unchange the look of your prized possession with little cost and effort?quote]

Yep. And while I can see the aesthetic value of the chocolate laces, it just wasn't MY glove anymore, you know? :D
Alas, my glove is better than my game.
Gamer and most prized possession: Nokona Buffalo personalized with my name in script AMG175BF
The "Backup": 2009 Rawlings black GG12XTCB
wickedwoman11
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby ser182 » November 7th, 2008, 1:07 pm

Thanks Softball66. I am not glad to hear that they will not be making the AMG-175 in the Kimera or bloodline. The AMG-175 is one of the best model they have. I have a few Nokonas and the AMG-175 is the only glove I can double my pinky and ring finger with ease. I guess i will have to get a all Buff AMG-175 to cure my sadness. Thanks for the update and asking all of our questions....
27 oz OG Extended
27 oz Freak 98
27 oz DeMarini Juggernaut
26 oz Catty asa
26 oz Mayham 7M 98
24 oz DeMarini Onyx
Nokona AMG-175 ROO CW
Nokona AMG-1200 BFC-WC
De Marini 13" glove ecco leather
ser182
Rookie Glove Poster

Previous