Glovesmith Custom Elite's

This is an archive section - it is read only

Glovesmith Custom Elite's

Postby Paulypal » September 20th, 2008, 10:32 am

I was an avid Rawlings user, but I really think the quality has slipped on their newer HOH gloves.

I ordered a few Glovesmith Custom Elites and in my opinion these gloves are as good as the older Rawlings USA gloves of the 80's/90's.

Any opinions on Glovesmith?
Paulypal
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vormyogi » September 20th, 2008, 10:43 am

I don't know anything about the new one's, but my son has had a custom outfield Mod-trap (12.5 or 12.75) for about ten years and it's seen a lot of use. The glove is of excellent quality and has held up very well, not the least bit floppy, except for the laces in the trap. We had it re-laced a couple of years ago.
vormyogi
Rookie Glove Poster

I have two of them....

Postby GloveGypsy » September 20th, 2008, 2:56 pm

I have two Glovesmith Custom Elites and I think they are wonderful.
Highest quality of materials and construction. Both were made in the USA... One is a baseball infielder's glove with an "I" web and the other is a softball glove. I am short on time right now, but later I will post pics.
-Glove Gypsy
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Cowboy7130 » September 20th, 2008, 11:34 pm

I am very happy with my Glovesmith "Longhorn" import model. 12.5", two piece horseshoe hinged web, solid black. To me, it feels as good or better than my GGP200-4 Rawlings Gold Glove. 8)
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Glovesmith Custom Elite Baseball Glove

Postby GloveGypsy » September 23rd, 2008, 11:59 pm

Baseball
-Glove Gypsy
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Glovesmith Custom Elite Softball Glove

Postby GloveGypsy » September 24th, 2008, 12:01 am

-Glove Gypsy
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Lugnut » September 24th, 2008, 11:05 am

are those the Oil Tanned "Wheat" color they offer?
Lugnut
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby wjr953 » September 24th, 2008, 2:38 pm

Gorgeous gloves, absolutely beautiful. Where can you buy gloves like that? I sure would love to add one to my collection.

br
wjr953

Glovesmith

Postby GloveGypsy » September 24th, 2008, 2:38 pm

On the baseball glove, I think it is called double currie tanned-Wheat, and It is 3 years old. I had it custom made for me when Glovesmith still made their gloves in Imperial, Mo.

I understand that now, their gloves are made overseas, but with still the same quality materials.

The softball glove was also made in the USA.
-Glove Gypsy
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Glovesmith

Postby GloveGypsy » September 24th, 2008, 8:19 pm

Thanks for the compliments, wjr953.

You can find Glovesmith online, or look on ebay where every once in a while you see a nice glove being offered.

Personally, I like the USA made ones, but I suspect the imported ones are every bit as good.

Good Luck!
-Glove Gypsy
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BuffaloGlover » September 26th, 2008, 11:51 am

Beautiful gloves GG!

Here are my two 12.75" Elites. They are both made from the stiffer curried retanned leather. The camel/wheat one is a USA model, and one of the finest gloves I have ever had. Thick leather. Feels great on the hand, wonderful pocket, just perfect for softball. I need to find another one to use, as I want to keep this one for my collection.

The brown one is an import. By far the stiffest glove I have ever had. I use a 12 oz. weighted softball to break in my gloves, and form the pocket. By my latest estimates, I have thrown it over 1100 times in that glove, and it is about 10% broken in. I have used petroleum jelly, Lexol, and pure lanolin at different times to try to get it softened up a bit. Still tough as a tank. People talk about gloves that will last a lifetime, this is one of them. My only minor quibble is that the laces on this one are thinner and very stiff, and a few of them tend to come a little loose at the knots, and don't like to stay tight. Great gloves though, the 12.75" models play bigger than some other brands 13" models.

BuffaloGlover
Veteran Glove Poster

Glovesmith Gloves

Postby GloveGypsy » September 26th, 2008, 12:19 pm

Hey, Nice gloves, Buffy, the softball glove slayer!!

I got my #24 from Pauly, the originator of this thread. I mistakenly referred to it as double currie tanned Wheat, but you are correct, it is called currie retanned wheat and it is some of the nicest glove leather I have seen.

See you around, S.K.
-Glove Gypsy
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BuffaloGlover » September 26th, 2008, 12:33 pm

Hey good to hear from you DM! My glove relacing master Sensei! :D

I picked up #24 off of ebay. It wasn't from Pauly but it seems as though 24 is a popular number. I am guessing the previous owner wore himself out trying to break it in!
BuffaloGlover
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Lugnut » September 26th, 2008, 12:44 pm

Has anyone tried the oil tanned leather they offer? I'm thinking about ordering a glove so all of these pics are great. It's tough to look at a small swatch of leather and know how it will turn out on a glove. I wonder why the companies that offer custom gloves don't have some sort of gallery to give you an idea of how things can turn out.
Lugnut
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby yankees23 » September 26th, 2008, 2:56 pm

I have to admit, I am a Rawlings guy but have to say these glovesmith's look fantastic. I especially like the way they stich alongside the welting.
yankees23
Veteran Glove Poster

Next

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information