Jason Varitek's mitt

This is an archive section - it is read only

Jason Varitek's mitt

Postby wickedwoman11 » September 10th, 2008, 8:53 pm

I was watching tonight's Red Sox/Rays game, and can't help but notice how incredibly loose the webbing is on Jason Varitek's mitt. I've never caught fastpitch (and certainly not baseball) but I can't help but wonder how he can catch power pitchers like Josh Beckett and Jonathan Papelbon and not worry about a ball smashing right through that floppy web. Yes, I know the ideal is to catch it in the pocket, but still.

Any current or former catchers out there use a similarly floppy web?
Alas, my glove is better than my game.
Gamer and most prized possession: Nokona Buffalo personalized with my name in script AMG175BF
The "Backup": 2009 Rawlings black GG12XTCB
wickedwoman11
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby MVALZ » September 10th, 2008, 8:58 pm

Its been like that since he slapped Arod with it. Won two World Series since...why change. :roll:

Does throw out the shallow pocket / quick release theory
- A baseball glove is a beginning and an ending: a boy's first sure step towards manhood; a man's final, lingering hold on youth; it is promise...and memory.
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby wickedwoman11 » September 10th, 2008, 9:21 pm

MVALZ wrote:Its been like that since he slapped Arod with it.

Sigh. That was my computer's wallpaper for a year after that. And it still occasionally is the wallpaper on my Blackberry -- definitely on Sox/Yanks game days. I have loved Jason Varitek ever since he fed a leather sandwich to that overpaid whining pretty boy. Uh oh, I better be careful, there are bound to be Yankees fans around here who may not like my characterization of their third baseman. What can I say? I'm biased. I've been a Madonna fan since the 80s, but now whenever I hear her music, I get a skeevy feeling. :D
Alas, my glove is better than my game.
Gamer and most prized possession: Nokona Buffalo personalized with my name in script AMG175BF
The "Backup": 2009 Rawlings black GG12XTCB
wickedwoman11
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby red_sox_fan86 » September 10th, 2008, 10:04 pm

It's not the same glove as '04. He gets a new All-Star 35" mitt every year and has the web pretty well stretched out after a month or so. He's also added a leather wrist guard within the last few years that he didn't use before.
red_sox_fan86
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby docglov » September 11th, 2008, 9:38 am

If you think about it for a second its only the lace that stops every ball how tight or lose doesn't matter. The perfect catching web would be a woven mess of only laces as proven by Red Roff which was rapidly out lawed by MLB

doc
docglov
Gold Glove Poster

Postby glovemason » October 6th, 2008, 9:31 pm

Any truth that DiMaggio complained about the Rolfe glove for the catch in the World Series in 55? If so, didn't Dimaggio use the RR model?
glovemason
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby robin_buckeye » October 7th, 2008, 4:49 pm

I think the catch you're referring to was in '47 and made by Al Gionfriddo.

The story was that DiMaggio was upset and felt that the rolled lace glove enabled the catch and complained to the league. There are pictures of DiMaggio himself with a rolled lace glove.

Also, I think that was Al Gionfriddo last MLB game.
robin_buckeye
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information