Need Glove Advice

This is an archive section - it is read only

Postby Cowboy7130 » August 28th, 2008, 11:51 pm

I own a Glovesmith Longhorn 12.5" fielder's glove. It is an import, though I THOUGHT at the time I bought it they were all made in the US. Oh well, I didn't read the fine print ....

Anyway the glove is GREAT! It is very well constructed of good leather, it broke in really nicely, and though it is easy to use, it is not too loose or floppy. It is probably my favorite modern glove.

I hate to muddy the water any further, but have you seen the Swenson gloves website? http://www.swensonbaseball.com/index.htm

You may already be familiar with them. I really like the look of those gloves!
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Gloves

Postby GloveGypsy » August 29th, 2008, 6:40 am

I like the Trevino Gloves. Nothing wrong with them. Just be aware that they take a long time to break in.

Here is one I own.

-Glove Gypsy
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Lugnut » September 2nd, 2008, 1:14 pm

I'm looking seriously at this Valle glove:

http://www.vallebaseball.com/Valle-Pro- ... _le112.htm
Lugnut
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby wjr953 » September 2nd, 2008, 2:23 pm

jdn,
I think Mike_2007 makes a fair point. I personally have been a big fan of Nokona gloves, with my best glove being an AMG650CW. I also own a Rawlings PRO601P Trap-Eze, and an Akadema Reptilian Series. I think that the Nokona and the HOH are very high quality gloves, with the Akadema farther down the list, possibly not even in the top 10. Both the Nokona and HOH are great gloves, but if someone were to ask me, I would probably direct them to Nokonas. Why? Because I'm very partial to them, not necessarily because they're the best. Other forum members may be partial to Rawlings, Wilson, Spalding, Mizuno, Nike, Reebok, Trevino, etc. What each person thinks is the "best" glove varies greatly, based on what they feel is important. Best case scenario would be to try each one of these gloves for a day or two to help you make your own determination based on what you like. Obviously, test driving brand new gloves is impossible, but going to a reputable sporting goods store and trying them on your hands is an option. I know that some of this is overstating the obvious, and I'm not trying to insult anyone by my comments. Ford vs. Chevy, boxers vs. briefs, chocolate vs. vanilla ice cream. It really all comes down to what you like. Hope that this helps.
FYI, you can count my vote towards consideration of a new Nokona. Although I must point out that I've had some extremely disappointing experiences with repairs to older Nokonas recently. I had always been under the impression that Nokona was top notch in repairing/re-lacing their own gloves, but I've changed my mind completely on that. It has become apparent to me that their interests lie solely in selling their newer gloves now. Evidently, servicing their older gloves isn't profitable enough for them. All I got for my troubles was a disinterested and unprofessional brushoff. (Yes, I know all about the fire at their factory. It would appear to me that not only all of their equipment and inventory was lost. It sure looks like good customer service also took a fatal hit.) Maybe it's time for me to consider switching over to Rawlings after all. The great American glove company? I'm not so sure anymore.

br
Last edited by wjr953 on September 2nd, 2008, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wjr953

Postby jdn4891 » September 2nd, 2008, 2:29 pm

Lugnut wrote:I'm looking seriously at this Valle glove:

I like that one a lot too, in fact the one I'm looking at is basically the exact same, except for the webbing;

http://www.vallebaseball.com/Valle-Pro- ... _le111.htm

I wish I could get some confirmationon whether or not Valle are in fact made by Trevino. I guess it really shouldn't matter, it's just that the other glove I'm looking at happens to be a Trevino, and if they're one in the same I'd rather give another brand a go.

Know what I mean?
jdn4891
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby jdn4891 » September 2nd, 2008, 2:33 pm

wjr953 wrote:jdn,
I think Mike_2007 makes a fair point. I personally have been a big fan of Nokona gloves, with my best glove being an AMG650CW. I also own a Rawlings PRO601P Trap-Eze, and an Akadema Reptilian Series. I think that the Nokona and the HOH are very high quality gloves, with the Akadema farther down the list, possibly not even in the top 10. Both the Nokona and HOH are great gloves, but if someone were to ask me, I would probably direct them to Nokonas. Why? Because I'm very partial to them, not necessarily because they're the best. Other forum members may be partial to Rawlings, Wilson, Spalding, Mizuno, Nike, Reebok, Trevino, etc. What each person thinks is the "best" glove varies greatly, based on what they feel is important. Best case scenario would be to try each one of these gloves for a day or two to help you make your own determination based on what you like. Obviously, test driving brand new gloves in is impossible, but going to a reputable sporting goods store and trying them on your hands is an option. I know that some of this is overstating the obvious, and I'm not trying to insult anyone by my comments. Ford vs. Chevy, boxers vs. briefs, chocolate vs. vanilla ice cream. It really all comes down to what you like. Hope that this helps.
FYI, you can count my vote towards consideration of a new Nokona. Although I must point out that I've had some extremely disappointing experiences with repairs to older Nokonas recently. I had always been under the impression that Nokona was top notch in repairing/re-lacing their own gloves, but I've changed my mind completely on that. It has become apparent to me that their interests lie solely in selling their newer gloves now. Evidently, servicing their older gloves isn't profitable enough for them. All I got for my troubles was a disinterested and unprofessional brushoff. (Yes, I know all about the fire at their factory. It would appear to me that not only all of their equipment and inventory was lost. It sure looks like good customer service also took a fatal hit.) Maybe it's time for me to consider switching over to Rawlings after all. The great American glove company? I'm not so sure anymore.

br

Thanks wjr! I appreciate your insight, as well as everyone else who has posted. I have to say out of the several baseball related forums I've joined lately to gather information on gloves, you guys here have been the most patient and informative.

Thank you.
jdn4891
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Lugnut » September 2nd, 2008, 3:23 pm

Trevino seems to use a lot of textured leather...not sure what the correct term is...and I'm not real crazy about that. They're not too far from me so maybe I can stop in sometime if they allow that sort of thing. John Valle helped me with some items I purchased for my little boy not too long ago. I already have a Primo, HOH, Salinas etc....just looking for something different and his stuff caught my eye.
Lugnut
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby glovemedic » September 2nd, 2008, 3:38 pm

Lugnut wrote:I'm looking seriously at this Valle glove:

I just noticed that the base of the web is double laced. I am sure this gives it some additional strength. I am a Rawlings HOH fan. I have used the Akadema pro line gloves and have a Glovesmith Custom Elite. The one element of advice I can offer you is to check the fit of the glove. I have small hands so the Akadema gloves fit very well. My only issue there was that the pattern on my OF glove was way huge and I lost the ball in there compared to my Rawlings 12.75 H webb. The Akadema AMJ-27 is a good softball glove though. My Glovesmith 11.5" IF (mod-trap) is a well made glove with good leather. It just does not fit as well as the Rawlings. I like Valle's comittment to the customer and they will let you return a glove after you try it on. Hard to go wrong there. Good luck!
Chuck Faulkner
The Glove Medic
Tazewell, TN 37879

http://www.glovemedic.com
glovemedic
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Lugnut » September 2nd, 2008, 3:46 pm

I'd love to get another HOH but not real crazy about the current color options...even from the custom places. I have a late 90's HOH that is a dark honey color that I picked up off Ebay a while back. Love the color...it's a 11.75 I Web. Would really like something similar in 11.25.
Lugnut
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby BuffaloGlover » September 2nd, 2008, 4:11 pm

Love those Trevino's, the pebbled leather looks great!

Cowboy,

Any info on where those Swenson's are made? Some of them look pretty sweet.
BuffaloGlover
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jdn4891 » September 2nd, 2008, 10:06 pm

BuffaloGlover wrote:Love those Trevino's, the pebbled leather looks great!

Cowboy,

Don't quote me on this, but Swenson's gloves look a whole lot like several of the Mexican glove companies. Namely; Barraza, Rolin, Soto, Rodriguez etc. Also, I noticed that on their website it says they started in 2002.

Hmmm... awful short time to come with a line. Not to say they might not still be a good glove though.
jdn4891
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby jdn4891 » September 2nd, 2008, 10:44 pm

Buffalo-guy,

I actually just got an E-mail from Andy Swenson regarding his gloves, and yes, they are made in Mexico.
jdn4891
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby BuffaloGlover » September 2nd, 2008, 10:51 pm

jdn4891 wrote:
BuffaloGlover wrote:Love those Trevino's, the pebbled leather looks great!

Cowboy,

Don't quote me on this, but Swenson's gloves look a whole lot like several of the Mexican glove companies. Namely; Barraza, Rolin, Soto, Rodriguez etc. Also, I noticed that on their website it says they started in 2002.

Hmmm... awful short time to come with a line. Not to say they might not still be a good glove though.

Good call! I emailed them and asked them where their gloves are made, and they confirmed they were made in Mexico. I am pretty sure that the Barraza and Rolin are made by the same company, and the some of the Swenson's look exactly like the Barraza's, so you are right on the money. I think the Rodriguez gloves are made in Canada, or at least the company may be based there.
BuffaloGlover
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Cowboy7130 » September 2nd, 2008, 11:26 pm

Yep, Swensons are made in Mexico. 8)
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Cowboy7130 » September 2nd, 2008, 11:27 pm

Yep, Swensons are made in Mexico. 8) And they do look sweet! Well, to me, anyway! My high school colors are black and gold, so I like that whole color scheme! :lol:
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information