Interesting Rawlings Tag - Ozzie Smith Glove

This is an archive section - it is read only

Interesting Rawlings Tag - Ozzie Smith Glove

Postby vintagebrett » April 15th, 2008, 9:24 am

In the current Grey Flannel auction there is a game used Ozzie Smith glove with a Rawlings tag I've not seen before - unfortunately the picture doesn't give the full view of the patch but I'd be interested in learning more about it.

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail3.aspx?lotid=17553
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Turning643s » April 15th, 2008, 12:01 pm

Isn't that the golden Rawlings patch that gold glove winners get on their personal models as a perk of winning the award.
Turning643s
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Brotherray » April 15th, 2008, 1:07 pm

I don't know if you tried it but you can actually click on the photo and it enlarges. When you do that it clearly shows the patch to be a Gold Glove winner patch. What I want to know is what happened to the circle R?
Brotherray
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby docglov » April 15th, 2008, 1:16 pm

have no idea where the circle R is. But the gold label on the glove was for wining a gold glove but I know for a fact that he never had that label because I put one on in spring training and he booted some grounders with it and I had to remove it right on the spot and never did it again. might raise a couple of red flags on this glove. Wish I could see the glove personally
docglov
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Mike_2007 » April 15th, 2008, 1:24 pm

The finger lacing is also unusual... By mid eigthties, all fingers should have the lacing in an 'X"...
Mike_2007
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Brotherray » April 15th, 2008, 2:09 pm

Would a professional player normally have his signature stamped into the glove?
Brotherray
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby docglov » April 15th, 2008, 2:37 pm

before emb. we stamped some names but not many. Ozzie was one, Terry Pendleton. Wallach( cant spell but was 3rd base forExpos) and Fernando V thats all the stamps I can think of. don't think we were still useing the old TG 12 name in 82 or3 when we started the gold patch. But not sure on all this. Aso seems the names were on the other side of the pad laces, but..........
docglov
Gold Glove Poster

Postby spedrunr » April 15th, 2008, 3:41 pm

there's a similar example on art's website (has the stamping on the inside of the pinky straps)

http://www.brucerodgers.com/ak/sale.htm
spedrunr
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » April 15th, 2008, 6:57 pm

Thanks for the interesting information guys. My favorite part of the description is that it says it exhibits good game use - to my eyes, it looks like it hasn't been used all that much. Unfortunately for interested bidders, there is no listed documentation that would make you feel comfortable buying this as what is advertised.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Cusser » April 15th, 2008, 8:44 pm

My brother's and my 1960 TG-12 models each had single finger lacing like that shown.
Cusser
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mudman » April 16th, 2008, 1:08 am

Label looks cool. But the question I have is what about the TG-12 stamp in the palm? I was always under the impression that the gloves made for Ozzie did not bear this stamp.
mudman
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby docglov » April 16th, 2008, 8:35 am

I really believe it is a 60's model glove with label and patch and name added
I developed the gold label in early 80's, And I'm sad to say I know someone capable of doing this . This would be some high tec robbery
docglov
Gold Glove Poster

TG12

Postby glove-works » April 16th, 2008, 10:46 am

If you look closely at the pic's, you will see the following:

1. The gold patch is sewn over the original red Rawlings patch. Evidence of the original can be seen at the lower left corner.
2. The fleece under the wrist strap would indicate it would not be a 60's era glove, unless someone went through the trouble of replacing the binding...which appears original.
3. No captain stripes (full thumb loop with tie at the top of the thumb)
4. Lack of X lacing on the fingers is not all that uncommon...I have a couple PRO-5's without it as well.
5. The TG-12 stamping doesn't look 60's to me
6. September 1993 manufacture? Looks like it might have deer tanned lining?

All in all, a very interesting glove......but if Bob C. has no record of it being manufactured for Mr. Smith..it's authenticity should be questioned.
Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
Glove Repair/Restoration & Sales
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Mike_2007 » April 16th, 2008, 2:07 pm

What year did the TG12 become the 12TC? Could this have been manufactured as a "retro" glove later on? ... like in 93 as Mike mentioned. IMO, it looks more like a "commemorative" Ozzie glove than an actual gamer.
Mike_2007
Gold Glove Poster

Postby spedrunr » April 16th, 2008, 2:34 pm

could the AES01 indicate that it was made in 1983? from what i've seen, the date code seemed to appear with the edge-U-cated heel gloves somewhere in the middle of 1983.

i think in 1984 the eUc heel was replaced by the "Gold Glove Series" stamping on the thumb.

still doesn't answer the TG-12 question though. if this is a counterfeit glove, i'd have to say they've really done nicely on the stamping.

nice call on the sewn over gold patch, i had to download the pic and magnify it to see the remants of the red edge and black and white angled stripe.

perhaps they didn't actually sew on the patch or fleece(?)

docglove, is it possible an employee had access to afterhours facilities(?)

be cool if ozzie could give us his assessment :roll:

spedrunr
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information