rawlings web innovations(?)

This is an archive section - it is read only

rawlings web innovations(?)

Postby spedrunr » April 4th, 2008, 3:39 pm

any thoughts on the "hybrid" basket webs(?)

call me an old school fuddy dud, but i'll take an "i", "H", single-post, or trapeze any day. :?

spedrunr
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby GoldGlove » April 4th, 2008, 4:18 pm

Are they coming out with thatprimo, if so when. Are they coming out with any other primos you know of.
GoldGlove
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby spedrunr » April 4th, 2008, 4:22 pm

i'm guessing you could order it today and get it by next tuesday?

http://www.ballglovewarehouse.com/produ ... spx?p=8132
spedrunr
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby GoldGlove » April 4th, 2008, 4:50 pm

Thanks for sending me that. Do you know if they are coming out with any other models.

Thanks

Jonathan
GoldGlove
Veteran Glove Poster

Those web patterns ....

Postby Cowboy7130 » April 4th, 2008, 11:27 pm

Those web patterns are definitely unusual ... the gloves are beautiful in any case!

I have used the woven basket web glove for decades, first on a Wilson and then more recently on a Rawlings OR 520. I find that the woven basket cradles the received ball, almost like a hammock closing and cradling it. I think the design has great longevity with the Rawlings line simply because they got it right! I am surprised to see them messing with it.

The second glove with the dual hinge web looks like it is paying homage to the Dual Hinge Wilson A2000, right down to the diagonal stitching in the outer panels of the web. Maybe that is the effect that the first glove is trying to achieve. If so, it misses, imho.

And the third glove, the Primo, is just crazy lookin' if you ask me. What is the purpose of the diagonal strap? Is the leather woven into the basket web not strong enough on their kajillion dollar gloves, so that they have to reinforce it with an ugly strap?

My 2 cents worth ...
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Postby swingman » April 5th, 2008, 12:31 am

The primo web looks horrible.
swingman
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby MVALZ » April 5th, 2008, 8:37 am

Shoot...I heard about the 12" Primo, but was hoping for a Wing Tip. You guys are right, that web just doesn't look right. They must have felt the Basket needed reinforcing...too bad. That being said, I'll probably own one within the month :wink:
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

DUal HInge Web for Cowboy

Postby BillBethea19 » April 11th, 2008, 9:02 am

COwboy,

THat dual hinge web is defintiely something to compete with WIlson. From what I understand Willson has a patent on that web style. However what is funny, the pros get the normal dual hinge web without the weaving in them on Rawlings models. I guess Wilson must give them permission to do that for pro players. I myself order throught the pro department and I have 9 different dual hinge models that are actual exact replicas of WIlson's Dual hinge model web. There are no weaved boxes in the middle panel.

Model numbers for these gloves are usually PRO12DH (12 inch) PRO504DHK for the 12 1/2 inch model.

Hope this helps
BillBethea19
Rookie Glove Poster

Dual Hinge Web Patent

Postby bs » April 11th, 2008, 10:24 am

Patents usually last 20 years from the original file date, Wilson no longer has the exclusive design rights to dual hinge just like Rawlings no longer has exclusive rights to their basket web.

I think the most significant patent to come around in years is Mizuno’s Power Close with the V-Flex notch. It looks as if Rawlings has gotten around this patent because they are offering gloves with a similar v-notch called the Speed Trap.
bs
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby docglov » April 11th, 2008, 10:25 am

patent long gone only good for 17 years just like rawlings fastback and holdster
docglov
Gold Glove Poster

Postby docglov » April 11th, 2008, 10:27 am

wow you guys are quick. ha .V notch kinda weak as we did it in the 60's
docglov
Gold Glove Poster

DUal Hinge

Postby BillBethea19 » April 11th, 2008, 3:38 pm

That is great info on the patents. Then my question is how come rawlings only offers it to pros?
BillBethea19
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information