Salz Leather

This is an archive section - it is read only

Salz Leather

Postby GloveGypsy » March 30th, 2008, 5:02 pm

Somehow these post slipped past me.

I have always thought Salz leather on the Mizuno World Wins was incredible. Early in my collecting hobby, I bought 3 World Win - USA gloves with the hang tags still attached.

It may be time for this glove's first appearance at the field.

GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Salz Leather

Postby bs » March 31st, 2008, 9:03 pm

The best leather I have ever seen was Paul Flagg out of Brookfield, WI. They produced extremely consistent sides and their tensile strength was unbelievable.

From what I saw of Salz, like many tanneries, they struggled to deliever a consistent product some hides were good others not so much. I was always surprised that both Mizuno and Easton promoted the fact they used Salz leather.
bs
Veteran Glove Poster

BS

Postby GloveGypsy » April 3rd, 2008, 2:12 pm

BS, I have yet to see a Mizuno World Win made from Salz that was a disappointment.

The leather on my "501" above is flawless. Also, I have a "500" Chipper Jones I -web model that is just as nice.

Also, I suspect that made in Japan "710" is made with Salz leather. It's making it's first appearance at the ballpark this Sunday.

-GG
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Salz Leather

Postby bs » April 3rd, 2008, 3:12 pm

GG,

I did not mean to disparage Salz or Mizuno. I think Mizuno’s craftsmanship is excellent. And Salz just had typical tannery type problems. I really just meant to convey the fact that Paul Flagg made unbelievable leather.
The reason I was surprised that anyone promoted Salz is just because tanneries in general have been so unstable the 15 years.

bs
bs
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mike_2007 » April 11th, 2008, 4:23 pm

Update for David Wagner:

I have perfected the square knot technique and can now make perfect knots! I have been going through all my gloves fixing knots left and right!
Mike_2007
Gold Glove Poster

Postby opticsp » April 11th, 2008, 10:32 pm

I'm sorry fellas, but how can you own these gloves and not use them! It is like owning a vintage Les Paul Guitar that sits. I respect that you guys are collectors but gloves want to be used. That's how they are given life. I just love to play catch and slide my hand in and feel the ball snap against the pocket...I should stop...
opticsp
Veteran Glove Poster

New and unused

Postby GloveGypsy » April 12th, 2008, 1:13 pm

I understand your point about using the gloves. I own somewhere between 15 and 20 gloves and half of my "inventory" is new and unused stock.
It's tempting to use some of the new ones, but for what? In a game, I only want to use a well broke in glove. The gloves are too new to put into "used" status via a game of back yard catch and would go down in value should I ever sell, which I never rule out.

There are a few gloves that I have resisted the temptation to sell: My personalized Glovesmith. My Wilson A2000 XXL which I use in softball games and my Nokona AMG 100EXP which is what I use when I coach my 12 year old's baseball team.

Just about everything else is available to be sold, just like at the sporting goods store.
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mike_2007 » April 12th, 2008, 3:13 pm

I have 30 + gloves - around 10 of them I don't use the other 20 get used in games/practices or playing catch in the back yard... Once I decide a new glove is going to be used I have to start the whole break in process and if I wanted to sell it later on, it is worth less than if I left it untouched... Any glove I have that has already been used still gets played with time to time - even gloves that are over 30 years old.
Mike_2007
Gold Glove Poster

Postby opticsp » April 12th, 2008, 3:23 pm

You guys have much more discipline than I would. I just can't resist putting my hands on them.
opticsp
Veteran Glove Poster

Previous

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information