eastbay pic"s #2

This is an archive section - it is read only

Postby Brotherray » March 27th, 2008, 11:34 pm

Maybe it's just me but I see a few things on the modified trap in the bottom pic that I don't like: The palm by the pocket has a couple of "blisters" where the leather is popped up, the gray binding on the right side is popping out of the lacing and the stitching around the binding looks like it will tear soon, the pinkie and thumb reinforcements only have three holes instead of the usual four, and lastly the welting doesn't look too straight in general, especially on the "Brock #4." Honestly, I would be upset if this is the glove that came to my door. I have one of the new burgandy HOH's and I love it. It does feel a little heavy but it is very well made. Sorry to sound so picky DocGlov. I know the USA gloves will get better but this is why it's hard for me to purchase a glove sight unseen. Believe me when I say I love HOH's. I just want to see the product once again be the glove that all other gloves strive to be.
Brotherray
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby docglov » March 28th, 2008, 8:41 am

I don't blame you brother it has been a major undertaking trying to start up the American line, again a couple of issues you raised were changes I made, the poped up area was a change to prevent the tearing you see on so many of that fold over crotch area, I also see all returns and thats a big issue. The 3 holes on the thumb and little are to make it easier to get your thumb in the glove, big hands tended to bump into the bottom lace in the pad. Those laces were only put in gloves to stablize the pad until the glove was built around it.We will get better. but the leather is already the best out there, no one has ever matched that not even us with import HOH. Keep checking on us hopefully you will see us get better. But you will see these gloves still there for a long time to come.
docglov
Gold Glove Poster

Postby swingman » March 28th, 2008, 3:27 pm

I think the difference in craftsmanship is due to the fact that the American gloves are hand crafted while the one overseas are machine constructed.

I might be wrong (correct me if so). I've been under this impression.
swingman
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Brotherray » March 29th, 2008, 2:46 am

I appreciate the clarifications DocGlov on what I was seeing. It all makes sense now. I know that I had to re-lace the thumb portion of my XPG-3 to mimic what you did on the modified trap for the same reasons. I am excited that Rawlings is bringing back US made HOH's. There is a purity to it that goes beyond the dollar signs. My boy is 11 and I can’t wait to give him his own USA made HOH very soon so he can use it with pride and pass it to his son or daughter. So far he has been using my gloves; XPG-3 and Pro-H, which have been a real kick in the pants for me and my Dad! He gets asked about the gloves all of the time by the opposing coaches. DocGlov, I know that you will make this project a success and I truly look forward to being one of your satisfied customers in the near future.
Brotherray
Veteran Glove Poster

new usa hoh's

Postby glovefan » March 30th, 2008, 6:31 pm

these glove are top shelf leather and feel amazing. There's nothing out there better.
glovefan
Rookie Glove Poster

bob...WSJ article

Postby splinters » March 31st, 2008, 1:40 pm

Bob:

Great article in the wall street journal. My critique of the off-centered Rawlings stamping in the photo was just an observation of a life long rawlings collector. I just want Rawlings to continue to be the best in the business....wehether they are made in the Phillipines or in the states. If your operation ever offers a WING TIP custom option with a 2 piece web...I will be all over it whatever the price is.

thanks, Matt
splinters
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Musashi » March 31st, 2008, 10:43 pm

Wing Tip + burgundy leather...I agree, price would be no object.
Musashi
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby GoldGlove » April 4th, 2008, 12:12 pm

I purchased a custom off eastbay last year. It was the oil tanned one. It is very nice, still have it but the only thing with it, is once I got it, it was bubbled in the palm and a welding on the finger was off center. It was to the left and some of the threads are not strait. I'm not complaining just putting It out there. The thing that aggravatedcl me the most was the bubbling. I called them and told them about it and they wouldnt do anything.
GoldGlove
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby swingman » April 4th, 2008, 1:46 pm

Don't get what you really mean by bubbling in the glove. Any pictures you can provide?
swingman
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby GoldGlove » April 4th, 2008, 4:16 pm

Ill try to put some by tonight. But the palm was like warped I guess you could say in other words.
GoldGlove
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby spedrunr » April 4th, 2008, 4:32 pm

although i don't like a "bubble" in the palm of a glove, i'm actually ok with stampings being slightly off, and subtle differences in shape, measurements and "feel". these seem to be indications that a glove is "hand made" where a machine made glove would have less variations.

it's like a glove "fingerprint". even within the same manufacturer and glove model, you could probably identify your own glove from pictures or just by putting it on your hand.
spedrunr
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

"hand made"

Postby bs » April 4th, 2008, 5:15 pm

A lot of people are referring to "hand made" vs "machine made" gloves. Aren't all gloves pretty much made the same? If, as stated earlier, the stitching looks like a heart monitor or the stamping placement is varied from glove to glove in the same model I believe this is a quality control issue not the nuances of a hand made glove. I believe most of the Asian manufactures spend more time with the final pounding of the glove which in turn creates a more uniform product.

Wilson has a good video on how gloves are made:
[url]http://www.wilson.com/wilson/baseball/video.jsp?CONTENT<>cnt_id=10134198673967979&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302755424&bmUID=1207007225182
[/url][/url]
bs
Veteran Glove Poster

"hand made"

Postby bs » April 4th, 2008, 5:33 pm

I have seen people referring to gloves as being "hand made" vs "machine made". Aren't all gloves pretty much made the same? I think, as earlier stated, if the stitching looks like a heart monitor or the stamping varies from glove to glove in the same model this is a quality control issue not the subtle nuances of a "hand made" glove. From what I can tell Asian manufacturers spend more time on the final pounding of thier gloves; which in turn gives the gloves a more uniform look.

Wilson has a good video showing how the A2000 is made on their website.
bs
Veteran Glove Poster

Previous

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information