New Rawlings Gold Glove

This is an archive section - it is read only

New Rawlings Gold Glove

Postby awarsoca » March 20th, 2008, 8:38 am

The basic one...have they changed the design to be more kid friendly? My backup glove is only a couple of years old, its a GGP200G H-Web. It fits my hand perfectly. I was in PIAS and tried on one of the 2007 or 2008 pro flare Gold Gloves and noticed it was considerably smaller in the hand opening department. I bought my dad a Heritage series Rawlings last year and thought maybe his hand was just huge, now I think maybe that glove has a smaller hand opening.

I know the Rawlings website indicate the GG is designed for a smaller hand, I just can not figure out why.

Thoughts?

Clint
awarsoca
Gold Glove Poster

Re: New Rawlings Gold Glove

Postby glovemedic » March 20th, 2008, 9:17 am

awarsoca wrote:The basic one...have they changed the design to be more kid friendly? I know the Rawlings website indicate the GG is designed for a smaller hand, I just can not figure out why.Thoughts?

The GG Pro-taper series is made with smaller hand opening and finger stalls for a better fit on the hands of youth players. Rawlings still has a series of GG gloves for adult hands as well. I have found that parents buying adult gloves that are too big for their kids' hand is the single most frequent mistake made in the purchase of baseball gear. The conventional belief seems to be that glove sizes are like shoes so buy something the kid will grow into. This makes for the development of poor catching and ball handling characteristics. Akadema led the way in devloping a line of quality gloves for youth players. Not to be outdone, Rawlings and others followed suit to capture the "select" or "travel" youth baseball market. I have bought a couple pro-taper gloves for my son (catcher's mitt, 11.25" mod trap) and they are awesome with high quality construction, good leather, etc. and I put them at the top of the list for "youth baseball gloves" at an affordable price. I rate the Omaha TPX youth gloves 2nd. Everyone else, Easton, Nike, Mizuno , and Akadema in an undifferentiated 3rd place group, with the Wilson A-500 series bringing up the rear.

To be sure, its like comparing apples and oranges to a large extent because the Rawlings runs for $70 to $90; the TPX, Easton, Mizuno, and Akadema in the ~ $60 range; and Wilson ~$40. You get what you pay for in all ~$40 range gloves (all brands) so folks should not expect much. These gloves are ideal for rec players who won't play many games in a season, or catch with hard throwers.
Chuck Faulkner
The Glove Medic
Tazewell, TN 37879

http://www.glovemedic.com
glovemedic
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby awarsoca » March 20th, 2008, 2:53 pm

Ahh many thanks. That makes some sense of it. I was buying it for my son's next glove (got an incredible deal on it), he's a a few months away from needing a new one but was concerned at my inability to comfortably fit my hand in there. I'll keep my hand out and let him break it in himself (c:

~edit for spelling~
awarsoca
Gold Glove Poster

Postby glovemedic » March 20th, 2008, 3:02 pm

awarsoca wrote: I was buying it for my son's next glove... I'll keep my hand out and let him break it in himself (c:

Always a good idea. My son is quick to point out his glove has a special feel for "his" hand. He tries to discourage teammates from putting his glove on. Not always easy at 11U.
Chuck Faulkner
The Glove Medic
Tazewell, TN 37879

http://www.glovemedic.com
glovemedic
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information