The toughest leather! Who makes it?

This is an archive section - it is read only

The toughest leather! Who makes it?

Postby oldreliable » March 11th, 2008, 9:23 pm

OK guys,

Which glove-maker currently makes the ballglove with the absolute toughest leather? With this economic stimulus package arriving in the next few months, well, I'm thinking about a purchase.

And I want leather that is like wrought iron. I want leather that scares people.

Wilson? Nokona? Rawlings? Easton? Mizuno? Anyone else? Anyone else at all. I'd love a glove that takes months, even years, to break in.

Thanks,

John
oldreliable
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Cowboy7130 » March 11th, 2008, 9:31 pm

Check out the following thread in this Modern Glove Discussion Forum:

So excited! Nokona AMG1275BF-MT!

I saw this model glove the other day and it is incredible! The leather is sturdy and quite stiff. I remember thinking it would take a whole season to break in this glove, but you'd have a great glove forever.
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Other "tough" gloves

Postby Cowboy7130 » March 11th, 2008, 9:39 pm

There was another thread from a few months ago that asked about USA made gloves. Three brands that I researched were Trevino, Salinas, and Guerrero gloves. In the case of all three, I was told to expect significant break-in time. All three have websites you can check out.
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Postby docglov » March 13th, 2008, 9:25 am

Not to brag but look at 90% of the classic gloves still in use or for sale and they will be Rawlings Heart of the Hide leather from Horween. I realize that todays market has forced all bulders to soften up but with careful searching you can still by the old rock HOH somethere. Check out the Yankee's new second base man. Billy Crystal ha ,his was an old leather hard one I made him for his birthday last year... But seriously look close as hard leather does not necessarily mean long lasting sometimes hard means a soon to split between the fingers problem. Not much of an answer but hey I tried and I have time on my hands today to play on line

Bob
docglov
Gold Glove Poster

Postby boz2730 » March 13th, 2008, 4:34 pm

docglov wrote:Not to brag but look at 90% of the classic gloves still in use or for sale and they will be Rawlings Heart of the Hide leather from Horween. I realize that todays market has forced all bulders to soften up but with careful searching you can still by the old rock HOH somethere. Check out the Yankee's new second base man. Billy Crystal ha ,his was an old leather hard one I made him for his birthday last year... But seriously look close as hard leather does not necessarily mean long lasting sometimes hard means a soon to split between the fingers problem. Not much of an answer but hey I tried and I have time on my hands today to play on line

Bob

Hi Bob,
Speaking of Billy's glove, what model did you make for him by chance? Did you replicate one of Mickey's for him? You did all the gloves for his movie "61*" right?

Matt
boz2730
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information