MacGregor Bill Buckner glove on ebay

This is an archive section - it is read only

MacGregor Bill Buckner glove on ebay

Postby Cowboy7130 » March 7th, 2008, 1:22 pm

An interesting glove on ebay right now. First, it's a Buckner endorsed MacGregor, which I have never seen before. Not that THAT's a big deal, because there are hundreds of gloves I have never seen, but ... Second, it is in almost mint condition, put up for 20 years ... (Gee, I wonder why?? :lol: ) ... Third, and most interesting to me, is the old-school lobster claw pattern. I didn't realize those were still made in the modern era! Is that the style of fbm that Buckner was wearing on "that night?"

Item number: 230230007452

A side note: I think Buckner was a great first baseman, with arguably HOF credentials, until "that night ..." Ain't it tragic that one boot overshadows an otherwise stellar career?
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Postby wjr953 » March 18th, 2008, 1:06 pm

I got to watch Billy Buckner play everyday when I lived in Chicago. He was a tremendous clutch hitter and a very hard-nosed player, a throwback if you will. I was thrilled when he came over to the Red Sox. He played that '86 season in extreme pain. His knees were shot and no amount of pain killers or cortisone shots were going to help that. He was a major contributor to that '86 Red Sox club, both with his bat and with his glove. I have to agree, it's sad that a great, great H.O.F. career will forever be overlooked because of that one error. To this day, it makes me sick to watch that video footage. Calvin Schiraldi, Bob Stanley, Mookie Wilson........., aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

br
wjr953

Postby offsidewing » April 21st, 2008, 4:39 pm

You guys are missing what Bill Buckner is best known for:

The left fielder leaping over the fence trying to catch Hank Aaron's record breaking 715th home run.
Aim for the corners and let the middle take care of itself.
offsidewing
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby opticsp » April 21st, 2008, 9:04 pm

Let's Go Mets!
opticsp
Veteran Glove Poster

that was Bill??

Postby Cowboy7130 » April 21st, 2008, 11:20 pm

That was Bill Buckner going over the wall?? I did not know that! :shock:

I was smiling to see Buckner throw out the first pitch at Fenway this year. A lot of demons must have been exorcised with that ...
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Chicago Red Sox Fan » April 21st, 2008, 11:33 pm

...or curses renewed!
Chicago Red Sox Fan
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information