My 2008 Wish List

This is an archive section - it is read only

My 2008 Wish List

Postby Cowboy7130 » February 26th, 2008, 12:21 pm

I have enjoyed collecting gloves for years, but admittedly my collection is heavy on the gloves at the bottom of the quality and collecting ladder. My gloves are generally store models, with no HOH's or A2000's or gloves of that caliber. My "name" gloves are Dale Murphy, Cal Ripken, Nolan Ryan, and Don Mattingly, all my faves from the 80's, and Ted Williams, my "classic" era hero. Of course, the Ted Williams Sears gloves are nice, at least in my opinion, but not of the highest collectible quality.

But having watched and read and written from time to time in this forum, I have a new hankering for some better quality leather. My purpose in 2008 is to avoid buying three average beaters and buy one good glove. Fewer purchases, higher quality ... at least that's my theory.

With that in mind, here is my 2008 wish list:

1. Wilson A2000 L or XL, made in USA, double hinged web.
2. Rawlings Bob Turley Trap-Eze.
3. Rawlings Dale Murphy 12.5" Trap-Eze HOH (? - I think it was a HOH that I saw on ebay. I bid on it last fall and didn't win it ... dang it ...)
4. D & M Lucky Dog split finger, preferably with box.
5. Nokona - almost any Nokona, but especially with the State of Texas in the palm!
6. Rawlings HOH Ken Griffey, Jr, 12.5 or 13 inch Trap-Eze, black leather, lefty, for my son.
7. Rawlings open-back, Wingtip back, I-web or H-web, made in USA. A Brooks Robinson endorsement would be awesome!

Those 7 are going to see some playing time, at least in the yard. (We are big-time catch-players at our house!)

The following gloves will be shelf-pieces in my mini-Hall of Fame (though of course, I am not ruling out an occasional game of catch):

8. Rawlings Mickey Mantle
9. Wilson Ted Williams
10. Ken-Wel Gehrig 1st base mitt, lefty
11. Spalding Ruth split finger, lefty.
12. Spalding, with the American-National patch, Tom Seaver or Nolan Ryan endorsement.
13. MacGregor Aaron
14. MacGregor Joe Morgan.
15. Spalding Maris

Wow, re-reading this list, I realize that some of this collecting may spill over into 2009, unless I can convince my teenage sons to stop eating so many groceries. :roll:

Gentlemen, if any of you have any of these gloves that are reasonably priced and that you would be willing to part with, please leave me a message. I'd like to start at the top of the list with the A2000 and work my way down!
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information