wilson-japan........mizuno-china

This is an archive section - it is read only

wilson-japan........mizuno-china

Postby splinters » February 15th, 2008, 9:38 pm

I am a long time Rawlings and mizuno collector. i currently have 53 rawlings gloves and 18 mizuno gloves......I was bored and decided to pick up 3 2008 wilson a2000 gloves. I was not aware that they were made in japan until I received them.....Is it weird that Wilson makes their gloves in Japan, and that Mizuno makes the gloves for the US market in China?

Side note, I might be in the minority but I have always felt that since Rawlings started making the gloves in the Phillipines the quality has improved.....A lot of the USA Rawlings gloves I have have labels sewn on crooked, etc.....the quality stuff from the Phillipines is better.

-matt
splinters
Veteran Glove Poster

Quality from Philippine Island Rawlings Shop

Postby GloveGypsy » February 15th, 2008, 11:00 pm

I agree. A while back I sold a PRO504DHTL and it was perfect in every way. It was made in the Philippine Islands and unlike many USA made gloves that I have had, the patch was sewn on with perfect, uniform stitching.
Also, I have long admired the craftsmanship of the Wilson made in Japan A2's, although the made in the USA gloves had superior leather.

I do not care for the Made in China Mizuno gloves as the leather has a weird, stiff texture and I sense it is inferior quality. They are nothing like the old World Win Mizuno gloves, that were Made in the USA in Georgia.
Last edited by GloveGypsy on February 17th, 2008, 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Glove Gypsy
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby swingman » February 16th, 2008, 3:00 am

The quality of the craftsmanship is way better in the Philippines then the USA models by far (no disrespect to docglove). I've seen some really bad stitching not necessarily from Rawlings but companies like nokona it seems like they traced a heart monitor. However the quality of leather is inferior to that of the USA made gloves. I strongly believe when rawlings made their gloves here the leather was better. By the way that is beautiful Wilson glove. What's the size?
swingman
Veteran Glove Poster

Wilson a2000 H1

Postby splinters » February 16th, 2008, 10:56 pm

I think that was the Wilson a2000 H1 I sold to a guy in louisiana a few years ago for around $80...Are you in Louisiana? -Matt
splinters
Veteran Glove Poster

Wilson H-1

Postby GloveGypsy » February 17th, 2008, 3:59 am

Yes, Matt, I am in Louisiana and that is about what I paid for the H-1 about 2 years ago. I must be your buyer. I had not seen this model before. It's very nice and a superb example of Japanese craftsmanship.

Swingman, the size is 10 3/4". It is stamped on the glove inside the wrist. My son is an infielder an I bought it with him in mind. He won't retire his World Win MWV-600, so my 10 year old daughter has claimed this one. It is unused on the dresser in her room. She just likes to admire it.

-Glove Gypsy
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

wilson glove

Postby splinters » February 17th, 2008, 10:34 am

Wow, I surprised myself ...my memory is better than i thought. That is a great glove.....11" is pretty much as small as i like them, I think that was the reason I decided to sell it. take care, matt
splinters
Veteran Glove Poster

Thanks Matt

Postby GloveGypsy » February 17th, 2008, 3:22 pm

I think your memory serves you well. I used to keep track of my eBay buys and sells. A while back I got so busy with my business that the administrative side of this hobby went by the wayside. I knew when I bought this glove that it was small, but the pattern is not something I see, at least not around here.

I saw that you sold your MWV-600 on eBay about a month ago. I was tempted to bid, but resisted as I am trying to keep my inventory low. Tonight I will be auctioning a vintage Wilson USA mint cond. softball catcher's mitt and a Black Easton PRO USA 10. Trying to free some closet space. If I have anything you are interested in, Matt, shipping is gratis.

I also am considering selling an unused Rawlings USA x-panel web, infielder's glove in oil tanned leather with the American flag/patch. This is another glove that my son nixed for his trusty MWV-600 MIJ Mizuno.
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby swingman » February 18th, 2008, 12:55 am

Wow it's a small world after all.

That wilson looks beautiful. Great size too just around my range. Wish wilson would release more solid colored tan gloves like that one.
swingman
Veteran Glove Poster

thanks

Postby splinters » February 19th, 2008, 12:04 am

thanks! I'll check them out. -matt
splinters
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information