Rawlings Primo

This is an archive section - it is read only

Rawlings Primo

Postby Mike_2007 » December 19th, 2007, 5:15 pm

I was thinking of buying a Primo when they first came out for my son to use. Good thing we checked one out at the store before buying on-line. Son tried it on and said "too heavy" - I tried it on and thought the same thing. Great concept of having a "money is no object make the best glove with the best leather" glove... Bur Rawlings screwed up and the gloves too heavy. Pros won't use them either.
Mike_2007
Gold Glove Poster

yeah, but ...

Postby Cowboy7130 » December 19th, 2007, 10:54 pm

Yeah, but MAN ALIVE, are they pretty! :shock:
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Postby swingman » December 20th, 2007, 4:49 pm

Yeah that was the rumor I heard. I initially wanted one but became hesitant due to the weight. I've become comfortable with the pro preferred series which is light. It seems rawlings has been screwing up alot I heard the new gloves of heart of the hide's are heavier too.

Mike 2007 how would you compare the weight difference between the primo and other gloves you have tried? Slightly or noticeably heavier?
swingman
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mike_2007 » December 20th, 2007, 5:53 pm

My son mainly uses this glove for pitching: http://www.ballgloves.com/cgi-local/p.pl?PROS15TCBB BTW, it is a great looking glove. the only negative is that I am seeing a very small tear staring to form in the pocket by the index/middle fingers. Possibly because the Kip leather isn't as strong as other stiffer leathers...

Anyway, the primo we tried on was pretty much the equivalent of that glove ( 11.5" modified trap) and it felt around 50% heavier. One more comment about the Primo, there is stiching all along the bottom/pinkie area that makes you wonder why is it there? It must for cosmetic reasons but I prefer a cleaner look... I recently picked up a 12.5" pro shop black modified trap Pro Preferred on Ebay that is light and the leather is stronger than the glove I mentioned above - Great Glove!
Mike_2007
Gold Glove Poster

Postby swingman » January 9th, 2008, 2:27 am

Who here feels Rawlings dropped the ball with the Primo?

I should reserve judgment until I actually put the glove in my hands but thats not going to stop me from critiquing.

I feel like Rawlings has dropped the ball with this new Rawlings glove. This glove seems geared more for a collector then a ballplayer. As a ballplayer I look for something that is light and not heavy due to performance on the field purpose. When rawlings introduced the pro preferred series I had no problem with the finger gel pads awkward at first but it served good purposes (made the glove light and helped it maintain its shape for the long run). Now rawlings introduces the Primo it features great ideas as specific break in points for position demands, fine italian leather, and great craftsmanship. I agree with the break in points idea but this is nothing new, Rawlings is just catching up to other glove manufactures like Mizuno and there own Japan version which already had this idea prior to this year. The Italian leather is cool but kinda over the top, lets stick with some good quality leather that isn't dripped in oil and that will last (horween?). Craftsmanship.....well that's what Rawlings is know for. I'm yet to pick up a Rawlings glove that is not well constructed, stitched and shaped. The one weakness is the aspect that cancels out the good ideas. Which is the double layered leather. This weights the glove down and hinders performance. Sounds very tedious but when you have a screaming hot one coming right to the skull you want the quickest way to get the glove in between and a light glove will help out. As far as I am concerned I haven't heard of a ball player say they want a heavy glove. This glove has great ideas but just misses on what I feel is a key feature.

Nevertheless I haven't tried on the glove so this might be just a big contradiction waiting to happen. However that's my two cents so far.
swingman
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby MVALZ » January 12th, 2008, 9:42 am

As a ballplayer/collector I thought I'd chip in my $.02 I use the XPG6 style 2 piece web Primo when I pitch and love it. I don't find it too heavy and nothing feels better on the hand. I've had my hand in all the '07 models and the only one that may have a weight issue is the big Trap outfielder, but even that one didn't feel too bad. If they come out with a Primo 12" 6XBC Wing Tip in '08 my quest for the perfect glove may be complete! :lol:
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

RAWLINGS PRIMO

Postby space50 » January 16th, 2008, 8:14 am

I have two Rawlings Primo gloves. One of them is the 12 3/4" Trap eze that I played with quite a bit last summer/fall. It's really hard to judge a glove by just holding a new one in a store. If the new Primo can be faulted for anything in my opinion it is for using oiled leather ( very nice leather at that) and the double construction. That does make it feel slightly heavier when it's brand new. But once you get it out in the field and play with it a while all of that goes away. When it gets broken in a bit and the hot sun makes the leather not quite so oiled it is a beautiful glove to play with and any weight issues go away and you are left with one very well made and very effective glove.
space50
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby dwags4him » March 10th, 2008, 7:00 pm

Agreed....give the glove an actual on-the-field chance...

As to craftsmanship, it was the single nicest glove I have ever handled. I took a look at the 11.5 Mod-Trap.

It did feel heavy, but the liked the seamless thumb....

I also recall re-lacing an A2000 from the early 80's that had that double layer construsction too... The extra layer was about 1/16" thick, but did offer some palm protection, unfortunately, that Wilson model did not have the stress point cut-outs like the Primo...so the pressure required to close it was higher.
David Wagner
Play It Again Sports Northbrook
847-564-9180

I service all gloves brought to PIAS Schaumburg, Villa Park, Oak Lawn, and Northbrook.

847-899-5423 [Cell]
dwags4him
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information