Opinions wanted on Worth Liberty / Ranger series

This is an archive section - it is read only

Opinions wanted on Worth Liberty / Ranger series

Postby etd » December 18th, 2007, 1:12 am

Has anyone seen or tried these gloves out? Is the only difference between the 2 glove series color since they retail for the same price? What Rawlings series are they equivalent to? I am guessing the Rawlings overseas factory makes these gloves for Worth since they are both owned by K2.

Thanks for your help!
etd
Rookie Glove Poster

Worth Liberty Gloves

Postby GloveGypsy » December 18th, 2007, 3:57 am

You are talking about those white softball gloves with the American/USA embroidered patch on the thumb, right?

From the photos I seen they look well made and are tempting. I am certain they are made overseas as K-2 is purely a profit margin oriented corporation.

Although I looked, I have never bought one. For a few more bucks, I would recommend that you lurk on ebay and get a quality Wilson USA A2000 xl or xxl.

I am aware that red and orange versions of these Worth gloves are available, but my thinking is those colors are just going to attract too much attention and heaven forbid booting one with that color glove on. The guys I play with would just light up on that choice piece of tease meat.
-Glove Gypsy
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby etd » December 18th, 2007, 10:03 pm

Yes, the Liberty series is the pro level white glove series with flags. I've seen them used by a few prominent college teams.

Looking at the Worth website, it looks like the Ranger series is the same quality as the Liberty but is more neutral looking.

I was particularly interested in the Ranger series as the 2007 color (traditional tan) is being hugely discounted at some online retailers. I could buy 3 Rangers for the price of 1 Wilson A2000 and still have enough money leftover to buy a pair of baseball pants. The 2008 color is dark blue.
etd
Rookie Glove Poster

Ranger

Postby JC » December 18th, 2007, 11:50 pm

I have a Worth Ranger with the modified Trap-eze web.

The glove is really nice.

It has leather binding, and quality lacing.

The glove is VERY stiff when new.
JC
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby GloveGypsy » December 19th, 2007, 7:33 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zett-Special-13-Baseball-Softball-Outfielder-Glove_W0QQitemZ330198857627QQihZ014QQcategoryZ27945QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This glove is about $30 less than the Worth gloves and if you have not had a Zett on your hand that you have overlooked a very nice one.

Also. the Wilson A2000 USA XXL that I use cost me $140 so I don't see how you consider it 3x as expensive as a Worth Liberty.

Merry Christmas!!
-Glove Gypsy
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mike_2007 » December 19th, 2007, 8:57 pm

Nice Call Glove Gypsy! Zett gloves are WAY better/cooler than Worth gloves!!!
Mike_2007
Gold Glove Poster

Postby swingman » December 20th, 2007, 4:52 pm

:shock: WoW did not know K2 owned Rawlings and Worth no wonder rawlings has been in a decline with quality.
swingman
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby MVALZ » December 20th, 2007, 9:35 pm

As a proud owner of a Rawlings Primo I respectfully disagree with the notion that the quality at Rawlings is lacking. The materials and craftmanship ranks up there with whats considered the best ever made. Just my $.02 8)
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Rawlings owned by K-2

Postby GloveGypsy » December 20th, 2007, 11:34 pm

Yup, that's right Rawlings was owned by K2. This occurred in either 2003 or 2004. I am not sure if K2 still owns the brand as the k2, the company, was bought this past spring by Jarden Corporation (JAH).....who ever that is.

In addition to Worth and Rawlings, K2 owns brands like Shakespeare (Rods and Reels), Brass Eagle (Paintball stuff), Stearns (Lifevests) and most of the other crappy....I mean inexpensive sporting goods found on the shelves of their biggest customer, Wal-Mart.

Hopefully, someone with some moxie, some glove-love, and the right amount of $$ can liberate this iconic brand of American sports before the latest "skilled management team" further butchers what's left of this company, and then sells it to the Chinese in a last ditch effort to redeem any dollars for themselves and their hapless shareholders.

Ok.......someone help me down off my soap box.
-Glove Gypsy
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby etd » January 1st, 2008, 7:43 pm

I do like A2000s. I have a Pro A2000 from 1992. It's the PS4 model that many major league pitchers used at the time.

The Worth Ranger was available for $50 over the holidays and at at one point when they were down to one model (the 11 3/4 infield/pitcher glove), the price dropped to $37.50. Good deal, don't you think, for a pro level glove.
etd
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby dwags4him » March 10th, 2008, 7:04 pm

Buddy got a Worth Ranger this past summer and has been raving about it....I helped him break it in and was impressed.

Stitching was good, leather was thick, and the glove took light oil well.

A concern on my buddy's glove is the beginnings of a tear at the base of the index/middle finger joint.

If you can indeed get it for $50, do it...it is worth that easily.
David Wagner
Play It Again Sports Northbrook
847-564-9180

I service all gloves brought to PIAS Schaumburg, Villa Park, Oak Lawn, and Northbrook.

847-899-5423 [Cell]
dwags4him
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information