Ambidextrous Gloves

This is an archive section - it is read only

Ambidextrous Gloves

Postby robin_buckeye » November 8th, 2007, 3:24 pm

Things are a bit slow in the forum here so I thought I'd toss this out. Anyone have a source or ideas for obtaining relatively inexpensive ambidextrous gloves?

I've got a seven-year-old who throws equally well with either hand. I got him two identical gloves and after he uses one (he shows no preference) for a while I tell him to try the other. He just switches and on we go.

So I've been thinking of getting him a mitt that he can use on either hand.
robin_buckeye
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby MVALZ » November 8th, 2007, 6:30 pm

I've owned several over the years, mostly mitts, and have enjoyed taking them out in the backyard for a catch. Of course they feel / look a little goofy, but make a great conversation piece. This one might be a little too big for your son, its the 'BRUTE' by Louisville Slugger
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

custom glove maker

Postby Cowboy7130 » November 9th, 2007, 1:30 am

I know a guy who makes custom gloves, and he has made a couple of ambidextrous gloves. From what I can remember of seeing them, they were simply a four-fingered glove with no webbing. The glove was shaped in the heel much like the "Brute" mitt above. I thought it was pretty strange-looking.
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Postby mittmutt » November 10th, 2007, 12:11 am

Back on June 2nd I submitted a post about an article in Sports Illustrated pertaining to college pitcher that is ambidextrous. It was a cool article. Anyway, the kid gets his gloves made by TPX but they are pretty expensive. I hope your son grows and has great success throwing from both sides.
mittmutt
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby robin_buckeye » November 10th, 2007, 1:07 pm

I didn't see that SI article, but I did see something in the NY Times about him. Can't remember his name at the moment, but he plays for Creighton U in Omaha. His story does sound a bit like my son John's -- when he was young I noticed that he didn't seem to favor either hand for much of anything.

The first glove I got him was for a RH thrower (his Mom, his brother and I are all RH), but after a while he started favoring the left for throwing so I got him another glove for a LH thrower and he went with that for a while. Then one day, about a year and a half ago, when he was almost six, we were by a lake and he was throwing rocks into the water and randomly using either hand. His form was better with the left, but acceptable with the right

So I thought that I ought to encourage that ability (I've always wished I could use my left hand better). I wasn't really thinking about baseball per se; I was just thinking that encouraging dexterity in both hands would be useful to him as he grew, especially since he seemed to do it innately anyhow.

So I got him another glove, identical to his LH thrower one (Wilson 10" EZ-Catch 325) and when we play catch (which is just about every day) we use each glove about the same amount. This coming LL season I think I'll just alternate which glove he takes to each practice/game so he won't have to think about switching, he'll just use whichever one is in his bag.
robin_buckeye
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information