Mizuno GCP61 Pro Issue Glove?

This is an archive section - it is read only

Mizuno GCP61 Pro Issue Glove?

Postby oakfan33 » October 27th, 2007, 10:33 pm

I recently acquired a Mizuno GCP61 glove from eBay. I'm sure a few of you saw it. The seller claimed to have gotten it from the Seattle Mariners training camp in Arizona. That didn't draw my attention as much as my attraction to the glove itself and the new Mizuno logos that I haven't seen very much yet. The modified trap web, the all black color, the new logos and the condition were all to my liking. I bought the glove for the Buy It Now price but had him include the shipping with the B.I.N. price. While waiting for the glove, I contacted Mizuno USA and asked when the new logos came out on the Classic Pro's. They told me August of this year, way past spring training. Also the new model of this glove is the GCP62 with new logos. Same glove with a few cosmetic changes released August of 2007. The GCP61 sold in stores had the old logos which made me ask why this particular glove had new logos. Mizuno couldn't confirm if this was a pro issue glove or an overseas glove, but did say that their professional embassadors get whatever logos they want. If it's a pro issue glove, then that's good. If not it's still a good looking awesome glove with the thickest laces I've ever seen.

oakfan33
Veteran Glove Poster

Mizuno Glove

Postby GloveGypsy » October 28th, 2007, 7:39 am

Looks like a good one. Is it for display or play?
-Glove Gypsy
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby worldwin » October 29th, 2007, 1:44 pm

That is the Mizuno logo for 2007.

Both of my Mizuno Pro Order gloves, which were made in Japan, and not China, bear the same logo.

I inquired about the older logo with my contact in Japan, and I was told that the old logo isn't used anymore, and this is what is current.

Many MLB players used this logo this year, including Ichiro Suzuki.

As for Mizuno USA...they really don't have a clue as to what really goes on in MLB with equipment. On their website that will claim that certain players use "X" model or whatever, but this isn't the case. They are just trying to push the crap that is made in China. They don't have a clue about the premium stuff that is made in Japan.

Most of the MLB players are getting their gloves made in Japan by a select few craftsman. As a consumer you can as well, but it will set you back around $500. Plus you will need to know someone in Japan who can order the glove for you. You may be able to find a website that you can order from...but you will still need someone who can read and write Japanese so that you can place your order.

As for the quality of the Mizuno Pro Order gloves from Japan? In my opinion second to none!
worldwin
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information