God Bless Jim Daniel!!

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

God Bless Jim Daniel!!

Postby theglovester » January 23rd, 2017, 9:57 am

Hey Glovers, we all love JD for his website and his devotion to the hobby. If you need to find a picture to cross reference a glove...JD's website is the place. His time updating and keeping it running is priceless. I still thumb through the catalog Joe Phillips put out in 2004, because it is easier for me, but JD and other collectors have added so many more catalogs to the data base thanks to Joe Phillips vision of wanting to know what is what and when it was made! I am posting this because Jim has helped me so much in my collection. I am kinda SLOW in computer stuff and I sent Jim a box of gloves from my collection and said "Jim, sell em and bank the money and help me get what I want" that was 3-4 months ago and we have bought some stuff, nothing big as I am a cheap glove collector that wants the best. I keep the collection down to around 50 or so gloves, some are mint, some are rags, but I kinda like the rags more! He probably shook his head a time or two when I said "get this one" and he keeps me in check. Together we have pulled off some great purchases that makes me happy with my collection. I can fix a bunch of troubles that gloves have and save a ton of money and have really nice gloves. That is why JD shakes his head and asks "WHY?" when he bids for me. He is in California n me in Tennessee and I think of him as a Gloving brother, Priceless!. we have won some stuff on ebay that is cool and like the Drokester "Cheap". maybe a glove of the month winner!!! During the Football games this past Sunday,I fixed a busted thumb seam on my Winchester sewn web glove that I have had for over 2 years, it is a dandy and a keeper!! Thank you guys for keeping glove collecting going.
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Re: God Bless Jim Daniel!!

Postby theglovester » January 30th, 2017, 11:30 am

Thought I would give an update on my glove swap/sell via Jim Daniel's help...Going back 4-5 months ago when gloves were sold, I had some serious glove money, in my mind anyway. Our goal was to get a better early three finger and a better Babe Ruth glove and not spend any money out of my "Pepper" Martin savings account. Great plan!!! Here is what I have searched and found on ebay that we have snagged for a Farmer in the hills of East Tennessee. The first was a Bob Feller glove from Play OK, needed one to go with the first Autograph that my papaw got me of Mr. Feller at an Appalachian League game back in 1974. Next is a Wilson A2001 shooting star USA glove with the index finger loop on the back, always wanted one and is a match to my USA A2000, (done collecting A2000's!) A MacGregor with the black crown Patch, I'm a sucker for top line MacGregors. Finally I found a Ruth!!! on ebay was a Spalding Home run Special with Issues, but mine for $85!! awesome patch, rolled piping and a gun shot hole in the index finger crotch!! It is cleaning up great and a win!! next was a Ken Wel zipper back Muddy Ruel Catchers mitt for $40ish. It is sad but I can tinker with it and have a zipper back ken wel and that is cool. Got a D&M 3 finger for $350 and that is ok, in initial plan.

But above all these is something that is beyond awesome to the Drokester. Those who have been Drokesterized know what I can sew up given an old pair of boots and a needle. I called Jim last night and told him I was in awe when I opened the package. It is the tools someone made to sew Lemon peel baseballs back in the 1800's. how do I know the 1800's? Lemon peel pin cushions for the fingers and an awl on leather sheaths for the fingers of the baseball maker!!! yep there are two lemon peel baseballs the size of marbles for a steal. Jim is going to post pics here so you guys can see what the Heck I am trying to describe, but I had to have them.

A smart man would take what glove money that is left and get his wife a new civil war re-enactment dress, sometimes I'm wise and smart, What holiday is coming up??? And my wife has worn Stirrup socks on Valentines Day!!!
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby theglovester » January 30th, 2017, 12:14 pm

Slap me on the head and call me "Shorty" after a tad of cleaning the baseball pin cushions for the fingers, on the part that wraps around the fingers, has "GLOVER" stamped into the leather and the awl has a silver proof mark!!! by the way $18 on ebay!! Santa came late this year!!
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby ebbets55 » January 30th, 2017, 1:14 pm

Here you go Don. This is a super cool piece. Thanks for the kind words. Love you too my hillbilly brother from East Tennessee.

JD
Attachments
Antique Lemon Peel Ball Lacing Awl.jpg
ebbets55
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby theglovester » February 5th, 2017, 11:30 am

what made these a "had to have" for me was that I made something similar to do my glove work that was not a fancy but did the same function!!!
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool