Johnny Groth Brooks Cleats

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Johnny Groth Brooks Cleats

Postby MikeRx » January 4th, 2017, 5:12 pm

I just picked up this pair of Brooks Johnny Groth cleats (size 9) and wondered if they are "player issued" or simply an endorsed model. They seem of very high quality as compared to many of the 40's-50's ear Spotbilt or others. Any insight would be great appreciated. I can't find any references to Brooks endorsed cleats. Seems odd to endorse a shoe on the sole, it would not be seen very well....

Thank you
Mike
Attachments
Groth Shoes bottom.jpg
Groth Shoes top.jpg
Groth Shoes bottom 2.jpg
MikeRx
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Johnny Groth Brooks Cleats

Postby Number9 » January 4th, 2017, 6:46 pm

That's actually a fairly common place for the endorsement in that time. I have a pair of Ty Cobb cleats with a signature endorsement and it's in the same spot. I've seen Gehrig, and I think DiMaggio as well. The only other place that would have it would be the inside tag and you wouldn't see it then either. The thought behind it was probably only to convince you of the quality leading up to the sale. It's not like a pair of modern cleats where you can tell who's "brand" they are just by looking at them.
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby MGHProductions » January 5th, 2017, 10:19 pm

William
If you ever want to part with the Cobb's let me know
Matt
MGHProductions
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby MikeRx » January 8th, 2017, 7:42 pm

Thank you for the info. Even if they are simply endorsed they are in amazing condition and make a great addition to my collection.
Mike
MikeRx
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool