Old tractors and sewn webs

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Old tractors and sewn webs

Postby theglovester » May 14th, 2014, 10:39 am

Hey guys, rambling a little, as usual... I sent a pic of Papaw's tractor to some of you via cell phone and it did great laying off the garden rows. vitally important, as the rows are uniform and I can move over a half a row with the tractor and then cultivate an acre of corn and beans in 30 minutes without ever touching a HOE. Very important when married I tell ya..

Anyway, I was showing it off to a friend, and it wouldn't start!!! WTH!!! A small bakelite gear had broken in the magneto and the old tractor was firing on only one of four cylinders, amazingly it was running, part ordered, tractor saved for the upteenth time for a mere $30...Try and buy that kind of simplicity now, or lasting quality...

Where am I heading with this ramblization.... Why do people sell their papaws or dads baseball glove??? I know people who were buried with their glove. And I wonder sometimes who owned these old gloves we cherish. Had they never seen an airplane, were they in WWI,WW2, Korea, Vietnam and never returned???

And some of you know I have done about everything to a baseball glove, but one thing puzzles me... How did they sew a sewn web into the thumb and index fingers??? sewn from the inside obviously, but you cant turn them when attached to both I don't think?? take care and good luck glovin. Drokester
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Re: Old tractors and sewn webs

Postby softball66 » May 23rd, 2014, 9:51 pm

What's a magneto? An Italian Magnet?
I had a glove one time called "The Magnet." :idea:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby theglovester » May 24th, 2014, 5:31 am

Ah Joe, A magneto is similiar to a woman, mechanics like to fiddle with them to get them to work, but even they can't explain in simple terms how they work, but nothing does if they don't... As I said, like a woman.

On a related note, after scraping around on my newest aquisition, The Snedley Whiplash buzz saw, A buddy I conned into helping me drag it home identified it. There are three letters forged into the castings in numerous places..."BDS"...after some southern speculation we decided they stand for "Big Damn Saw" :lol:
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby ebbets55 » May 24th, 2014, 2:30 pm

I don't know about you all but I'm very afraid for Don. Also, here's a picture of Papaw's tractor.

JD
Attachments
Saw.jpg
Papaws Tractor.JPG
ebbets55
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby theglovester » May 25th, 2014, 11:57 am

Thanks for the posting of the Pictures Jim!! I learned to drive on that little orange tractor, and am leaning to getting the dang thing clear coated as is instead of repainted.

Papaw was approached by the Cardinals in 1932 to join their farm system, but he had a heard of guernsey cattle and my dad was on the way.... People said that he was pretty good, he called his pitches, out-shoot, down-shoot, in-shoot, etc...

Kinda figured out why he named my dad Jimmie instead of Jimmy, guess I need a Foxx glove sometime in the future.. I have dad's last glove, but a Foxx would seem to be needed in the collection in my reasoning. A fielders model would be better than a 1st basemans as dad was an outfielder.

I know we all have different avenues for our collections, that's the cool part of this hobby. How can an old baseball glove be wrong??
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool