Vintage Baseball Book Released

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Vintage Baseball Book Released

Postby softball66 » July 22nd, 2013, 12:12 pm

A great collecting hobby like our own in the "equipment" field is that of collecting vintage baseballs. Of course there's a great overlapping of autographed baseballs as well which
fit into this category. Friend Brandon Grunbaum has recently published a detailed, colorful and comprehensive book on the history and identification of vintage and antique baseballs. This is a book and guide that I would recommend to any interested hobbyist. Here's the link to purchase Brandon's book>>
http://www.historyofthebaseball.com

:!: :idea:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Vintage Baseball Book Released

Postby vintagebrett » July 22nd, 2013, 1:15 pm

He certainly won't be getting any money from me:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=170004
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby softball66 » July 22nd, 2013, 4:12 pm

Sorry if my post ruffled some feathers. I had previously read this thread on Net54. An admitted mistake was made. The author was taken to task.
If our folks would like to JUDGE the merits of the BOOK on its own, lets please let them do that. The author has helped me on occasion on baseball histories, etc.
and many others as well. The BOOK should be helpful to many hobbyists.
softball66

Postby vintagebrett » July 22nd, 2013, 5:11 pm

No feathers here so don't worry about ruffling them. I despise fraud in our hobby and that is exactly what that ball was

Definition of FRAUD

a : deceit, trickery; specifically : intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value or to surrender a legal right
b : an act of deceiving or misrepresenting : trick

People are free to read and interpret the sequence of events however they want. I posted a factual account and stick by it.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby deebro041 » July 22nd, 2013, 8:50 pm

I despise fraud when it is proven, but I also despise mistreatment of members because of their nationality and limited knowledge base.
deebro041

Postby ScottWNJ » July 22nd, 2013, 9:37 pm

After reading the entire thread on Net 54, I think I'll stick to collecting gloves.
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby theglovester » July 23rd, 2013, 5:32 am

Well.... If this don't just kick me in the throttle... Was going to make replica lemon peels, belt, and lemon-belt one piece balls to fund my DD Dean or PM Pepper Martin Fund... You all know.. have FUN, develope FRIENDSHIPS, have TRUST with a stranger clear across the country, And earn the $$ for the gloves with my craftsmanship. Heck I have even exchanged christmas cards with some of you guys...

I read the episode, and needed a piece of paper to map it out...still ain't sure.. but something is strange...

I got interested in this hobby as it was the last bastian left that resembled something like collecting baseball cards when I was 9. Please take note all readers!! If any ball I reproduce leaves my possession it will be stamped DEEPLY "Piney Flats, TN. CSA" with metal stamps that you use to initial tools etc. and will be recovering a current baseball, not wadded padding from an old glove, saddle or what ever may be confused for the real deal.. I liked the challenge to see if I could make one. Pretty good at it, and that is kinda scary... Kinda like the relaced ball, I could have done that in 2 hours flat...and never tell the difference :shock:

No one likes to be HooDooed, I guess our good nature and trust is like a sitting duck... Sad..

Thanks to all the guys in the forum, keep eyes peeled for trickery and let us all know.
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby murphusa » July 23rd, 2013, 10:17 am

I ordered the book. I saw what he did when all this blew up on net54 and was kindof disappointed in him for what he did.

Still, it is a great resource for the future if you collect baseballs. WILLNOT BE HAPPY IF OTHER ITEMS IN THE BOOK ARE FALSE THOUGH

Putting money in his pocket? i read books, newspapers, magazine, watch TV shows, movies etc of people who do not hold the same political views, lifestyles and one or more other things than me.
I think by doing this you become a more well rounded person.

If by reading and using this book I gain more knowledge about baseballs, then it is in my favor.
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby robw » July 30th, 2013, 8:46 am

@theglovester...I play vintage baseball (1864 rules) and would be very curious to see the baseball you are making. We've played with a few different versions:

http://www.19cbaseball.com/shoppe.html
http://www.baseballamericaspastime.com/equipment.html

Any more info you can provide greatly appreciated.

Rob
robw

Postby murphusa » July 30th, 2013, 11:47 am

received my order and the books are very well done and full of great info
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby theglovester » July 30th, 2013, 10:34 pm

Hey Robw.. Hello from Dixie!! Look in "Today I found/Vintage Pics" section of the forum under "Gettysburg North won again" and see a simple lemon Peel, I have done a belt Three piece and just figured out a... get this... a one piece belt/lemon hybrid...one was pictured in JD's picture gallery and I said thats cool, got my pattern down and will post a pic soon, have a couple others I have spied, one is a "lemon swirl" and another "5 peel lemon" and a "three peel lemon" Guess they told the local leather smith/cobbler---make us a ball this size and whatever turned up worked.. Remember my baseballs recover a current baseball, I feel kinda funny about making one to good.

If you like any that I have made after seeing a pic, let me know, and any advice on how to mark these so the uninformed don't get duped, guys please let me know. I haven't sold one and want to be consistant when I do if any may be wanted..

RobW if you guys are using 1800's rules then no gloves.. Right?? You guys "Soak em?" Uh, kinda need a softer baseball right, what are your current baseball's innards made of?? I have a worn out sock I could wad up??

Hope all are having a great summer, here in Piney Flats, Hay finally up, and have been canning everything, Good lord has blessed our family with a bountiful garden. Been playing like an ant and not like a grasshopper..

Guys, I am going to spring my creations on you all...all for fun and guarnteed by a certificate of "Pretty Sure Assurance" Catalog forth coming!!!

Yours in Gloves, D Droke ESQ. (Look up what an Esquire is, I Be one.. Kinda way down in the definition, but me to a "T")
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool