Home Field Advantage in World Series

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Home Field Advantage in World Series

Postby ScottWNJ » July 18th, 2013, 11:39 am

I've never been a fan of the current system of awarding home field advantage in the WS to the winner of the All Star Game. I've always thought it was a gimmick, created by FOX Sports to drum up interest in the AS game.

I just heard what I think is a great idea for determining home field advantage in the WS.

In the All Star Game, the outcome is determined by a handful of players on either side. But now, with interleague play occurring every day in baseball, why not let whichever league wins the most interleague games over the course of the season (or by a pre-determined date like Aug. 15) determine the home field advantage in the WS. This way, every player on every team gets to contribute.

What do you guys think? (I'm sure FOX would cry foul).
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Re: Home Field Advantage in World Series

Postby Deacon » July 18th, 2013, 3:17 pm

I think interleague play should be eliminated altogether. As a baby boomer, I can recall the anticipation of seeing the different pitcher/hitter matchups in the All Star Games (yes, there even used to be two a season) & in the World Series. Now it's common place. It isn't as exciting seeing a Yankee/Dodger World Series when they just played against each other last month.
just my two cents
Deacon
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Number9 » July 18th, 2013, 3:47 pm

I agree with Dave. Inter-league play was a novelty in the first few seasons. Now it's only of minor interest for inter-city games like NYC or Chicago. I'd hate to see them give it any more attention than it currently has. The All Star Game had become a meaningless spectacle so it's nice to see that there is at least one reason for those guys to break a sweat out there. Not too long ago there were guys who would either sit out completely or leave after one at bat. Not really what you want in a showcase event. Any incentive to actually play the stars in situations that are interesting is far better than what we were getting.
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby ScottWNJ » July 18th, 2013, 8:33 pm

I do not like inter-league play either. But if we are stuck with it, especially all season long, I think it should serve a more important purpose than just providing bragging rights for local fans.

Dave, I do remember when there were two All Star Games per season, but I doubt we will ever see those days again. It's hard enough to get some of these prima donnas to show up for just one game.
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool