MLB Tribute to Heroes...VOTE for Jon Popovich!

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Re: MLB Tribute to Heroes...VOTE for Jon Popovich!

Postby softball66 » July 17th, 2013, 11:03 am

Here's nice writup on Jonathan and his military service and veterans work, besides love for baseball!
http://www.northjersey.com/news/2119330 ... eball.html
Way to Go Jon!
Veteran's Salute! :)
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » July 17th, 2013, 12:40 pm

Looks like a great night for all those involved! Here are some pictures from JD's view in the stands.
Attachments
download1.jpg
download.jpg
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby jpop43 » July 17th, 2013, 6:13 pm

To All,

Guys...I just got back in from what was nothing short of a fairy tale type fantasy put on by PEOPLE magazine and MLB. I am so very sorry for not having had the chance to just sit down and post pics and stories, but we were kept very busy in the very best of ways.

Over the next few days I am going to process all my images and put together a little narrative here for the forum.

I just want to thank you all again for having taken the time to vote for me and support me in this contest....I feel very fortunate and blessed to be part of such a great collecting community.

Talk to you again soon,
JP

P.S. Sorry I couldn't link up with you JD...MLB had us on quite a timeline and we were meeting with the MLB Commissioner when you called!!
jpop43
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby ebbets55 » July 17th, 2013, 8:55 pm

Thanks for posting those pics for me Brett while I was on the road today. Hey JP, I thought you would be super busy and might not have the chance to hook up. Don & Eric wanted to buy you a beer too so I drank yours for you. Hope you don't mind. :lol:

It was super cool seeing you out there on the field and the board. Can't wait to hear about all the activities they had planned for you guys. I'm sure it was something pretty special and memorable for you. We're all so happy for you.

For the record, I loved Citi Field. It was like a combination of Ebbets Field and the Polo Grounds in my opinion. I collect ballparks, have only a few left and this one was right up there for me. I was in the hour and a half Shake Shack burger line when I noticed they were doing the tribute. I reluctantly ran out of line and to my seat and barely got the pic on the board. If I debated one more second, I would have missed it. Glad I didn't. I ended up getting my highly recommended burger at 11:30 when the line went down. It was a fun couple of nights at the ballpark.

JD
ebbets55

Postby jpop43 » July 18th, 2013, 4:00 pm

Going thru tons of images but I thought that you all might appreciate this one most right now....pretty cool being near such a high quality pile of baseball gloves!!!

Jonathan
http://www.dugouttreasures.com
Attachments
Dugout.jpg
jpop43
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby murphusa » July 18th, 2013, 6:30 pm

so that's why your uniform looked a little tight :P
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby jpop43 » September 3rd, 2013, 11:42 am

Hey All,

My brother reminded me last evening that I literally "owe" all of you the pics from the MLB All Star Game experience. He was right...I do owe you these pics at the very least as there is no way I could possibly thank you for all your support, votes, and well wishes throughout the MLB "Tribute for Heroes" process.

So, I am gonna do my best to post LOTS of pics here from the time we spent in NYC over the All Star Break. I tried to pics ones out that are representative of each of the events and activities we attended.

Hope you enjoy them,

Jonathan
www.dugouttreasures.com
jpop43
Veteran Glove Poster

2013 MLB ASG: Our Accomodations

Postby jpop43 » September 3rd, 2013, 11:54 am

Hyatt Grand Central...great location...awesome hotel. Lots of wonderful "swag" provided to us by MLB and PEOPLE..can't say enough about these great organizations.
Attachments
hotel.jpg
hotel 2.jpg
hotel 3.jpg
hotel 4.jpg
jpop43
Veteran Glove Poster

2013 MLB ASG: Tour of 9/11 Memorial

Postby jpop43 » September 3rd, 2013, 12:00 pm

On the first full day of the trip we were given a private tour of the 9/11 Memorial...NYPD were there to greet us...its a somber, but beautiful site...we were also presented with American Flags that flew over the Memorial itself this past Patriots Day. Really special experience that is hard to put into words.
Attachments
police salute.jpg
911 Memorial.jpg
receiving flag.jpg
flag cert.jpg
jpop43
Veteran Glove Poster

2013 MLB ASG: Fan Fest

Postby jpop43 » September 3rd, 2013, 12:11 pm

Fan Fest at the Javits Convention Center...Hunt's live aution lots were all on display, as was a travelling exhibit from the HoF. Really a tremendous amount of fun...something for everyone here...esp. kids.
Attachments
fan fest 1.jpg
fan fest 2.jpg
fan fest 3.jpg
fan fest 4.jpg
fan fest 5.jpg
jpop43
Veteran Glove Poster

2013 MLB ASG: All Star Gala

Postby jpop43 » September 3rd, 2013, 12:14 pm

The All Star Gala was held on the USS Intrepid aircraft carrier...we had a private cocktail party before it was open to the public/players/ dignitaries/ etc....great food, drink, and entertainment...The Roots performed live right there on deck.
Attachments
gala 1.jpg
gala 2.jpg
gala 3.jpg
gala 4.jpg
gala 5.jpg
jpop43
Veteran Glove Poster

2013 MLB ASG: Red Carpet Parade

Postby jpop43 » September 3rd, 2013, 12:22 pm

Truly one of the most amazing experiences of my life. This was the Red Carpet parade that included all the players and their families. I along with all the other AL team representatives were on a float in the midst of a sea of people.
Attachments
parade 1.jpg
parade 2.jpg
parade 3.jpg
parade 4.jpg
parade 5.jpg
jpop43
Veteran Glove Poster

2013 MLB ASG: Citi Field

Postby jpop43 » September 3rd, 2013, 12:29 pm

Once we arrived at Citi Field, we were put up in a private suite on the suite level. We were there for both the Home Run derby and the actual ASG. Our guests were transported there to meet us each and every time we were at the ball park. Its also where the owner of the Mets and the Commissioner of MLB came to greet us and spend some time.
Attachments
suite 1.jpg
suite 2.jpg
suite 3.jpg
suite 4.jpg
sute 6.jpg
jpop43
Veteran Glove Poster

2013 MLB ASG: meet and greet 1

Postby jpop43 » September 3rd, 2013, 12:34 pm

Throughout the entire trip we had opportunities to connect with many players, administrators, and MLB alumni. Some of these opportunities included the press conferences, the Gala, the Home Run Derby, and of course the day of the ASG down in the locker rooms.
Attachments
wright.jpg
kershaw.jpg
me and bud selig.jpg
posey.jpg
davey.jpg
jpop43
Veteran Glove Poster

2013 MLB ASG: meeting and greeting 2

Postby jpop43 » September 3rd, 2013, 12:38 pm

Some more pics from the ASG...
Attachments