New TV Show - All-Star Dealers

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

New TV Show - All-Star Dealers

Postby GloveCrazy » March 18th, 2012, 12:47 pm

There's a new show on the Velocity channel that features the behind the scenes authentication processes of Grey Flannel auctions. I found it interesting.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: New TV Show - All-Star Dealers

Postby vintagebrett » March 18th, 2012, 4:49 pm

Does the show detail the multiple excuses they come up with for not paying a consignor until 70 days after the auction has ended??
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby MGHProductions » March 18th, 2012, 10:32 pm

I think the way Rich talks about every consignment as meaning possible thousands of dollars in his pocket, pretty disgusting. We get it, you get a commission and BP, but do you need to mention how much you can make off of every item. It does make the hobby look very good IMO.

Brett, you still haven't been paid? What's their excuse?
Matt
MGHProductions
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby GloveCrazy » March 18th, 2012, 10:56 pm

I agree that that side of the hobby is a little too dollar focused, and the first two episodes certainly were no exception, but I think having memorabilia items go for tens to hundreds of thousands is ultimately good for the hobby. I also learned a couple of things in the authentication processes.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby vintagebrett » March 19th, 2012, 7:46 am

MGHProductions wrote:Brett, you still haven't been paid? What's their excuse?
Matt

I finally got paid but will never do business with them again - if I find another basketball jersey that is worthy of being auctioned I"ll use a different venue.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » April 27th, 2012, 7:38 pm

Not sure if this show is on the air or not but if so, will one of the upcoming episodes discuss how to auction a reinked/penned glove and not disclose it in the description.

http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.com/ ... ecial-Mitt
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby GloveCrazy » April 28th, 2012, 11:39 am

Yes, still on, I think, I have my DVR setup to tape them. I found the segment they had on non weld catchers masks interesting, and I like when they do road trips to collector's houses. There is also a show called Ball Boys on ABC Saturday morning that I also enjoy the haggling and collector road trips.

I agree, though, that there's way too much playing dumb when it comes to describing flaws by the big auctions AND some knowledgeable glove dealers on ebay. Maybe we need to start a new thread the highlights some of the poor descriptions.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool