2012 Major League Baseball Season Discussion

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

2012 Major League Baseball Season Discussion

Postby vintagebrett » March 4th, 2012, 1:01 pm

Spring training games have started and the regular season is a month away. What are you excited about, interested to see, hoping not to? etc.

1) Bounce back by the Red Sox - anger and embarrassment can be effective motivation and they have plenty to prove.
2) Continued development by the Kansas City Royals young team - not sure there is enough pitching but they have a lot of talent in the field.
3) Tampa Bay Rays Matt Moore - this kid is supposed to be the next great pitcher - looking forward to seeing him pitch well except against the Sox
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Re: 2012 Major League Baseball Season Discussion

Postby GloveCrazy » March 5th, 2012, 3:48 pm

All in all I'm just happy for the first time in a long time regarding free agency. It will be interesting to see how the others benefit around Pujols in the lineup. Specific storylines I have most interested in are:

1) What are the Angels going to do with their other two really good first baseman? Kendres Morales was briefly looking like the next Pujols until the fluke homerun celebration incident put him out for two years. Now he's back and last years rookie of the year candidate is also a 1B. Trade or switch gloves and move to 3B, a position of need?
2) Angels pitching staff looks pretty darn good on paper. Did they catch the Rangers (who knew we'd ever think the Rangers had solid pitching)?
3) Trout (can-t miss prospect) versus Abreyu versus that other dude/dud, Wells, with the HUGE contract.

Outside of my Angels:
1) Bobby Valentine versus John Lackey, others.
2) Dodgers ownership. This could get interesting with some huge bids because of valuable TV rights. Does McCourt keep the parking lot? Don't ask me why I care but it could be interesting.
3) Can Ryan Braun produce after the scrutiny and without Fielder and his other alleged helper
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » March 5th, 2012, 7:34 pm

The AL All-Star race for 1B should be very interesting this year - Gonzalez, Pujols, Texeria, Fielder, Hosmer, Morneau - lots to choose from!

Doesn't seem to be one dominant, imposing team this year and lots of squads that have a chance to take the Series.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » May 22nd, 2012, 10:01 am

Well, the season is about 1/4 done with. I guess I jinxed all of the AL first baseman with my post - none of them are having a great year. The AL East is tough this year - everyone is at .500 - that has to be a rarity. Still don't know what to make of the Red Sox - sometimes they look great, sometimes they suck - would be nice if they could stop get injured.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby deebro041 » May 22nd, 2012, 9:09 pm

Brett i'm a Jays fan so I could take Adrian Gonzalez off your hands! :mrgreen:
I agree with you on the east though, very unreal!
Dan
deebro041

Postby vintagebrett » May 23rd, 2012, 3:30 pm

The NL East is almost the same as the AL East - lots of competition so far. It will be interesting, with the added wildcard team, if those divisions can put three teams each into the playoffs - that would be quite impressive.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby softball66 » May 24th, 2012, 7:28 am

Me, I'm just enjoying the Texas Rangers stealing the thunder from the "illustrious" Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Mavericks, and those teams' media conscious owners.
My attention has also been focused on the climbing Washington Nationals and the two highly touted Number One draft choices. Excitement in the capital or is it capitol? :lol:
softball66

Postby GloveCrazy » May 25th, 2012, 4:20 pm

Yea, I agree that it's been cool to watch the Nationals this year, and I have never been a Nationals fan. It's nice to see SDSU alum Steven Strassburg return so well from his surgery. He doesn't seemed to have missed a beat. Some of the Harper Plays have been great , too, but I'd like to see the media give my phenom prospect Mike Trout a little ROY love as well.

My Angels have been brutal, but at least the worst may be over (knock on wood), and they really aren't too far out considering the April/May carniage. Worst start in history and fall-guy Mickey Hatcher fired. I'm all for stirring things up a little by firing a coach or two, but he was the same hitting instructor that helped them win the World Series.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool