MVP Voting

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

MVP Voting

Postby GloveCrazy » November 23rd, 2011, 3:03 pm

In my ongoing series of trying to understand what in the world are baseball writers thinking -- outside of where to get their next chili-cheese-dog -- comes this year's MVP voting. I'm not an advocate -- at all -- of a starting picther winning the MVP, but that's not the one that bothers me the most. Matt Kemp had a better performing year almost across the board while playing a much more challenging (valuable) position. A good head-to-head comparison was made on the following article http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/cliff_corcoran/11/22/nl.mvp.braun.kemp/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a7&eref=sihp
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: MVP Voting

Postby vintagebrett » November 23rd, 2011, 8:13 pm

It's simple - Braun's team made it to the playoffs and Kemp's didn't.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Rickybulldog » November 23rd, 2011, 11:01 pm

I would have to agree with Brett. Both had similar stats and the voting could have gone either way, but Braun's team advanced to the playoffs and Kemp's didn't. We're fortunate being on the west coast to get to watch Kemp, it's been great watching his development as a professional ball player. I remember when they brought him up he was quite impressive, but still a diamond in the rough and was just raw talent. He really is a 5 tool player.
Rickybulldog

Postby GloveCrazy » November 24th, 2011, 12:53 pm

The team award is the big shiny one with the flags that one team wins on the very last day.

Team success is nice, and possibly one of several tie breakers that should be considered, along with position played and assistance from others on the team. And generally speaking, when it's debatable who the MVP was on a particular team then neither one of those players probably are the "most valuable" of the league. Prince Fielder was third in voting and batted behind Braun. Kemp had lots of nobodys protecting him in the lineup and still had a much better year offensively. That is the definition of more valuable.

Braun had a good year, but Kemp had a borderline historic year. He was one homerun shy of 40/40 and was seven hits shy of the triple crown. I get that he didn't hit either magical mark, but those numbers are absolutely amazing given no protection in the lineup and from a center fielder. I am sort of anti Dodgers, but got to give credit where credit is due.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Urine trouble

Postby Rickybulldog » December 10th, 2011, 9:42 pm

Rickybulldog

Postby GloveCrazy » December 11th, 2011, 4:41 pm

I really hope that the positive test was a mistake. This is so bad for baseball on a number of levels. Most of us assumed that we had a clear end date to the steroids era and that future numbers would be legit. I also heard that the results were known to MLB prior to the MVP voting which really is another interesting wrinkle. I feel sorry for the Brewers who signed a $150M contract with him that goes through 2020. His performance was already likley to dip -- significantly -- without Fielder batting behind him but this really could get ugly without his little pick-me-up. Rob
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool