For Fun

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Re: For Fun

Postby GloveCrazy » November 7th, 2011, 4:59 pm

Agree that hopefully the 1" web experience doesn't dissuade a new collector away, but the paradox is that it took two bidders to get it up that high which is sort of the overall point. As for whether or not my new vented catchers mitt is worth more than I paid or not, it is. Value doesn't need to be realized through a sell ... our glove collections are portfolios that have intrinsic value. I'll concede, though, that because it is less liquid that there is less certainty and maybe a wider range. Not on that beauty vented bad-boy that I received today, though, that is an absolute lock ... love it! :-)
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby rdb34 » November 7th, 2011, 8:49 pm

I completely agree with almost everything stated above. Jerry, when you stated that if a buy it now listing doesn't sell in the first two hours it's dead in the water, you were right on the money. I have been in the situation when a deal is offered to me and I have no choice but to sell. When I tried the BIN format about 20% of the items I listed sold in less than an hour, the rest I took huge hits on. You know what though, I'd do it all over again to get the gloves I wanted. I wanted fast money not to wait a week and then however many days it took for someone to pay. eBay is a gamble sometimes you win sometimes you lose.

I was the winner of the other vented Spalding catchers mitt. If Rob(thanks man) didn't post in the GOTM section his strategy the mitt would probably still be on eBay. I rarely put in best offers because like a few guys stated above I'm afraid I will offend the seller. $240 was way too much money for the mitt in question but I think $142 is a deal. I researched both gloves and the only glove I could find with the "triple face" in any of the catalogs in Joe's source book or JD's database was the AL Todd of 1936/37. To me another telling factor was the "stick on the hand" buckle back configuration, an indication of a top of the line glove. Sure the Hartnett that Rob won looks nicer and is in better condition but I'm extremely happy with the mitt I won. If, for example, both spalding mitts came from the same year (1937) the retail price for the Todd was $17.50 and the Hartnett was 12.75 I figure with inflation we both got good deals.

Rob, I hope I'm still whistling the same tune when my mitt arrives.
rdb34
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby GloveCrazy » November 8th, 2011, 12:38 pm

rdb34 wrote:$240 was way too much money for the mitt in question but I think $142 is a deal.

I completely agree and you are welcome :-) I almost accepted the counter offer on $140, and don't think I would have regretted it at all, but had a couple other wins that day and just decided I couldn't have them all (darn it). Nice glove, and yes, probably a little higher quality. That "triple face" is intriguing to me but I didn't notice anything different about the front in the photos. If there is some other real unique feature about that mitt then that's an even bigger bonus. Congrats!
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby rdb34 » November 15th, 2011, 10:21 pm

I was surprised to find after I cleaned the mitt up that it was endorsed by Bill Dickey. It's located right under the "triple face" stampings, but pretty faint. I can't find a mitt with similar stampings in any of the catalogs on JD's site. I wonder if it's from the missing 1936 catalog? Does anyone have a 1936 Spalding catalog?
Attachments
IMG_9261.JPG
IMG_9260.JPG
rdb34
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby GloveCrazy » November 15th, 2011, 11:32 pm

Great job on the cleanup, Richie! I knew it had potential but it looks better than I thought it would.

The front of mine was caked-on brutal and my fingertips are still sore! Turns out that mine is a "Double Face" model Hartnett with the double face stamping in script with a picture of a face in-between double and face. Calling Mike Tinney for additional information regarding these double and triple faces.

GabbyCB.JPG
GabbyCF.JPG
GabbyCZ.JPG
[
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby mikesglove » November 18th, 2011, 4:54 am

Rob's mitt seems to fit the 1937 Spalding "Hartnett" 10-0 model.

The other "Triple Face" Bill Dickey model is a little harder because the "Al Podd" model is shown as the "Triple Face" model with perforated back in the 1937 Spalding catalog below and in Joe's catalog source book for 1936. Doesn't seem there is quite enough information out there to pinpoint the year of the Bill Dickey model. Both mitts came out looking real nice after a cleaning. Interesting that one mitt has the fastback feature and the other a padded strap and buckle.

Below is an old photo of my Spalding perforated back model with a fully laced opening
mikesglove

Postby GloveCrazy » November 18th, 2011, 12:14 pm

Thanks Mike ... I really appreciate it!

Any guess as to what the difference is between a double face and a triple face? The double face front doesn't necessarily feel like it is double thickness ... Richie how does the triple face feel?

The picture between the double face is kind of crude and ugly. Reminds me of that classic optical illusion, which of course has both ugly and attractive images if you look hard enough.
DoubleFace.jpg
DoubleFace.jpg (7.21 KiB) Viewed 9625 times

I'm not seeing the attractive side on the double face beast, but can't quite get a good look at it (or am afraid to). Is it possible to get a closeup of the picture part from the catalog image?

Like your Spalding, here's a picture of my Reach with the laced opening, though it looks like I guessed wrong on my relace (after seven other attempts). Kind of like it, though.

RchCHl3B.JPG
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby mikesglove » November 18th, 2011, 1:11 pm

here is the "Double Face" image from a 1921 Reach catalog. The patent for it seems to be 1916. It states there a two separate layers of molded leather to the face and I read that the "Triple Face" indeed has three separate layers. It looks like a profile of an Indian with headdress. Never thought of the possibility of an optical illusion. That would be clever.

mikesglove

Postby GloveCrazy » November 18th, 2011, 2:02 pm

Thanks again Mike ... that was exceptionally thorough and much appreciated!

Of course when I said the symbol was crude and ugly I meant regal and authoritative. I'm no historian but this predates the 1926 start of Nokona which is sort of interesting to me given the logo similarity.

I must say that my American Indian History instructor wouldn't have been very pleased at all with an indian beng pictured as the "two-faced" emblem. He'd argue vehemently that they weren't the ones breaking the treaties when getting manifest destinied. Just saying.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby rdb34 » November 18th, 2011, 11:12 pm

Thanks for the info mike... My mitt was a pain to clean as well, Rob. You did a very nice job and thanks for the compliment. It's funny the only spot on the back that really cleaned up was where the previous owner inked in his name "angers". I tried to take a nice pic of the Dickey endorsement, but it was hard to get a good one. You can see the script is pretty big.

Rob, I can't really feel or see a difference in regards to the Triple Face.
Attachments
IMG_9294.JPG
rdb34
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » November 19th, 2011, 12:55 am

GloveCrazy wrote:I must say that my American Indian History instructor wouldn't have been very pleased at all with an indian beng pictured as the "two-faced" emblem. He'd argue vehemently that they weren't the ones breaking the treaties when getting manifest destinied. Just saying.

it may be something more benign. There is an old Navajo weaving technique called "Double Face" where both sides of a blanket have images
mikesglove

Postby GloveCrazy » November 19th, 2011, 7:55 pm

mikesglove wrote:It may be something more benign. There is an old Navajo weaving technique called "Double Face" where both sides of a blanket have images

Well that's a horse of another color(s) and makes a lot more sense.

I can't tell you how long I've spent staring at the symbol trying to find the second optical illusion face. Like the picture above, the neck beads have to be the second mouth, they just have to! I'm convinced there has to be something there because the indian doesn't really seem to be a top quality artistic effort. I'm no artist, but some of my elementary school Thanksgiving construction paper projects more resembled an indian than that symbol. I mean look at that headress! Furthermore, I've been watching the Ken Burns Prohibition series and the symbol looks eerily like some of the female temperance union activists around that timeframe, and that's no compliment.

Calling all parents out there. I want to see a 2011 Thanksgiving construction paper or macaroni project indian that is better than this symbol (preferably but not necessarily from your kids). Unfortunately, William and Mike, you are disqualified because of your artistic backgrounds.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby bing » November 20th, 2011, 9:38 am

Mil Mascaras? :)
bing
bing
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: TIMING

Postby softball66 » November 21st, 2011, 7:20 pm

TIMING
Jerry hit the button right on the nail or something like that in his musings on "buy it now" and the fact, sitting around with BIN for weeks and months, it languishes, like the dude with the five mint gloves for about 5 grand. I want to shake that guy. But, for example, we had an item up that we though was rare and began with a BIN at the current market of about $700. Turned down (or made counter offer) an offer and then afar a couple of weeks, no more offers and "bingo" couple more of comparable pieces to our's went up. And one at lower price. Dead in the water. If listed earlier or accepted offer then money in the bank. As was it sits dead in the water. :evil:
softball66

Postby Rickybulldog » November 22nd, 2011, 1:28 pm

Interesting stuff about the Double/Triple face mitts. Mike great info as usual. Since the Navajo people were more from the Southwest, I tried to dig up stuff on people from the east. Not a lot came up. While surfing the net through Native mythology, Double-face did come up, but most stories portrayed the double face character as a woman. There was, however, a notorious Cherokee warrior/chief by the name of Double Head (no photo). Well, that's all from here and sorry no macaroni bead work or paper bag vest (leather look) to show from my classroom. I did provide a picture of Native American emblems. The sewn web glove could be in the running for oldest as well.
chief.jpg
Bz-Ls4wB2kKGrHqEOKjkEMkZriyBMYVrobtR_12[1].JPG

From the foothills,
RBD
Rickybulldog

PreviousNext

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool