Old School

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Old School

Postby mikesglove » August 21st, 2011, 4:08 pm

Me with my vintage 1975 Kelty "Serac" backpack. The top of the line biggest, bad ass pack Kelty made. As my family and I were on the Echo Lake dock waiting for the water taxi to take us out of Desolation Wilderness, A fellow hiker looked at my gear and said, "So your the one with the big pack". I asked, "What do you mean, are people talking about me"? She said, "I remember you from before..." I had been going into Desolation for about 17 years, now I've become a legend, or as my daughter said "I am Legend".
keltya2.JPG
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Old School

Postby okdoak » August 21st, 2011, 6:15 pm

Kudos for packing that all in, Mike! I'm more of a drive up to the campsite guy these days, but I still do enjoy sleeping in a tent. Years ago, my wife and I used to load all of our gear into a canoe and camp on an island on the St. Croix river (Wisconsin-Minnesota border). The first year we did it we remembered to bring everything except the can opener. Yeah, that would've come in handy. I'm going to have to find a pack like that for all the traders I'm going to bring to the next National I go to. :wink:
okdoak

Postby mikesglove » August 21st, 2011, 11:36 pm

okdoak wrote:I'm going to have to find a pack like that for all the traders I'm going to bring to the next National I go to. :wink:

Funny you should say that. Today I was at the local monthly flea market which is an awesome adventure because vendors save up stuff just for this one. It used to be a primo place for glove finds but not so much any more. I carry along one of my kids old day packs for the odds and ends I buy. I actually found a great glove, A 1940's top of the line MacG G148 base mitt in super condition. I was pretty stoked as I stuffed it inside the day pack. Lo and behold leaning against the next table was a 1970-80's Kelty "Tioga" backpack in great shape for $10 and quite a bargain. I have it earmarked for one of my kids. Anyway I dumped everything into the Kelty and continued my rounds. I got a lot of second glances with that back pack on.
mikesglove

Postby softball66 » August 22nd, 2011, 7:36 am

Mike, where's your Swiss Army Knife?
Wonder if they've thought about a "Swiss Army Glove" a single device that would encompass a catchers mitt, baseman mitt, fielders glove? :D
softball66

Postby mikesglove » August 24th, 2011, 12:17 am

I have 3 Swiss army knives and always bring one with me into the wilderness. Never know when there will be a wild marmot attack. Actually, it's just for whittling sticks.
mikesglove

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool