Please help identify

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Please help identify

Postby deebro041 » March 24th, 2011, 6:59 pm

Thankyou for letting me use your forum. I recently purchased this mask at an auction in Ontario Canada. I have tried to research this mask. It has no markings as to the manufacturer, but i might have narrowed it down to a Goldsmith, maybe early 1900s. Found one from a catologue from Goldsmith from 1915 but this one has the large bead welds and i am having a hard time finding others from that era. Could anyone please help me identify.
Attachments
IMG_1169.JPG
deebro041

Re: Please help identify

Postby deebro041 » March 28th, 2011, 4:01 pm

I plan on replacing the white string with leather laces and would like some kind of reference picture to see what the lacing might look like. I'm also wondering if i should paint the cage or leave it as is, any ideas?
deebro041

Postby deebro041 » April 21st, 2011, 12:40 pm

I decided not to paint the cage(was a silly idea originally). Removed the string and replaced with leather lacing. Cleaned it up with Horseman's Onestep. The leather is in exceptional condition, still has stuffing of hair(horse or goat not sure). I still haven't been able to identify this mask, but just received a book called Antique Sports Uniforms and Equipment. Some pictures of masks made by Spalding anywhere from 1890-1900 are really close.This was such a great find for $30. Now I am looking to complete a catcher's look from around that era(mitt, shinguards, chest protector, uniform and cleats)
Attachments
IMG_12251.jpg
IMG_12231.jpg
IMG_12201.jpg
deebro041

Postby Kenny Wel » April 21st, 2011, 8:04 pm

Wow, It looks great. I'm glad you didn't paint the cage!

Ken
Kenny Wel
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby deebro041 » April 24th, 2011, 9:07 am

Thanks Ken. I'm going to try and put some straps on the back, just trying to find some pictures of similar masks to see what i might need. I think there should be a leather strap through the forehead rest(not sure what to call it) that fastens on the sides. I don't want to change this mask, just trying to make it look presentable and somewhat useable, not that i would dare try.
deebro041

Postby Number9 » April 24th, 2011, 4:30 pm

I think that may be an umpire's mask, c 1910. Catcher's masks of the era would have been more oval with fragmented padding. The ump didn't take the physical abuse that the catchers did so their protective equipment tended to be more simplistic. Great find, and a nicely executed clean up job.
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby deebro041 » April 26th, 2011, 8:10 am

To be honest I think I would be a little disheartened if it were an umpire`s mask, no offence to any ump`s or collectors out there.
deebro041

Postby ebbets55 » April 26th, 2011, 11:19 am

I thought it could be an umpire's mask too but those are cool. Don't be bummed. Umpire's masks (if that's what it is) are super cool and way rarer. Some of the neatest masks in the hobby are umpire's masks. I dig it.

JD
ebbets55
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby swalt1234 » April 26th, 2011, 11:25 pm

Hey Deebro -- don't forget the metal cup in your display!
swalt1234
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby deebro041 » April 27th, 2011, 7:51 am

Thanks swalt, but i'm not even going to touch that one.(literally)
deebro041

Postby deebro041 » April 27th, 2011, 6:18 pm

I came across some Spalding guides(with help from another member) from 1910-1915, and the catchers masks models from 1911+1912 are almost a match. They are "Special Soldered" masks model 7.0. I am now certain this mask is a catcher's mask, Spalding manufacturer. Thankyou for viewing and providing me with help.
The guides i looked at were from the Library of Congress web site. The photos are remarkable(and the info too).
deebro041

Postby deebro041 » May 11th, 2011, 11:40 am

Hey swalt i might have found that metal cup, but thinking maybe i should use it to hold my peanuts and cracker jack.
deebro041

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool