Any ideas on this mask???

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Any ideas on this mask???

Postby Number9 » February 1st, 2011, 3:31 am

This mask is a recent pickup for me. Anyone ever seen this style mask before? It looks like it could be baseball, but I'm not sure. The detail that makes me question whether it's baseball related or not is that the top of the mask sits at about mid-forehead. My guess is that it's part of a larger assembly that included a helmet. Whatever it is, it's cool. I'd appreciate any info that anyone may have. Thanks guys!

Mask1.jpg
Mask1.jpg (229.39 KiB) Viewed 6849 times
Mask2.jpg
Mask2.jpg (230.87 KiB) Viewed 6849 times
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Any ideas on this mask???

Postby softball66 » February 1st, 2011, 9:20 am

Intriguing mask Bill. No spitter hole, the mask has "ears" in a way, wide frame around the eyes, sits low on the face. The wire gauge looks maybe ok for baseball but more softballish. No harness.
Your opinion that it attached to a helmet makes a little sense. I'm not familiar with early hockey goalie masks but this doesn't seem to fit that with the wider eye protection missing. Surfing might turn up an answer but it's kool. :?:
softball66

Postby vintagebrett » February 5th, 2011, 1:34 pm

Lacrosse?? Polo?? Field hockey??
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby softball66 » February 5th, 2011, 4:36 pm

looks like Brett is getting pretty warm
http://www.madlax.com/index.cfm?action= ... &c=17&s=18
softball66

Postby Number9 » February 5th, 2011, 6:26 pm

Thanks guys. Once I had it in hand and could see the placement, which is low on the face, it was clear that there's a helmet component that is missing, so lacrosse came to mind. However, I've had little luck finding an image of any product, for any sport. That in itself is puzzling because something should be out there. The only image that I've tracked down is basically useless because this mask was used in an art installation. All of the masks were attributed to baseball with no further information. I'm wondering if it might be a prototype or short run for something that eventually evolved into a modern catcher/goalie/lacrosse type of mask. The field of view is actually really good, it's the bizarre looks that probably killed it. What's really strange is that it seems to have had padded edges at one point because there are no abrasions to the perimeter. On a hockey helmet, or similar, there will be a pivot point at the top center so you can swing the mask out to put it on your head. This doesn't have that, and the chin is too tight so you probably wouldn't be able to slide it on like a football helmet.

If anyone has any tips on how to search out the patent info, that would be great. I've stumbled through the patent office website with negative results.
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool