Feller, Score & Striker

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Feller, Score & Striker

Postby ohiofraun » December 26th, 2010, 11:00 pm

The passing of Bob Feller got me to digging out some files involving my first cousin Wilbur Jake Striker.
Feller was a mentor to two promising 19 year olds, see Cleveland Plain Dealer picture. Score went on to limited fame with the Indians, until hit in the eye from the bat of Gil McDougald and then was play by play broadcaster for the Indians. Striker had arm problems, but did get a win with the Indians on September 25th of 1959, thus his only major league card, 1960 White Sox Topps #169. Jake was traded to the ChiSox in the winter of 1960, but was not able to hang on and finished his career in the high minors. Interestingly George Rose wrote a book One Win Wonders, and Jake appears on the cover....Ken Striker of Dayton
Attachments
One Win Wonders Striker on Cover.jpg
Score, Striker & Feller.jpg
ohiofraun
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Feller, Score & Striker

Postby AkBandit » December 27th, 2010, 5:13 am

I am slowly putting together a complete set of 1960 Topps Baseball cards, the year of my birth, and here is the Striker card.

AkBandit

Re: Feller, Score & Striker

Postby ohiofraun » December 27th, 2010, 11:11 am

Here is a picture of the mitt Jake Striker used the day of his "one-win". It was the "experimental" Rawlings XPG six-finger. ""Six Fingers...Why" was an ad in SPORT August 1959, with a Trap-Eze modeled by Stan Musial (his picture deleted here)
Attachments
Rawlings 6-F XPG.jpg
ohiofraun
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool