website of cloth patches

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

website of cloth patches

Postby mikesglove » September 2nd, 2010, 2:33 am

Found this by accident while trying to find some history of the intermixing of D&M-Goldsmith-MacGregor companies. This website just popped-up and is so cool. The website goes into minute details of cloth patches. I think Brett for one would enjoy it: http://www.antiquesportscollector.com/TagsMain.html
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: website of cloth patches

Postby ebbets55 » September 2nd, 2010, 11:04 am

Yes Mike, that site is very cool. However, those are mostly uniform tags and only a few of them were used on gloves from what I can tell. Interesting why they used different tags. Thanks for posting.

JD
ebbets55

Postby mikesglove » September 2nd, 2010, 12:54 pm

Yes, the variety of styles is interesting compared to glove patches. That is what really grabbed me! The unique elongated patch on this Reach mitt is put into a little more context when compared to the other early elongated uniform patches of the website. The website also did a great job of dating the patches and showing the transition through the years.
A J Reach Catchers Mitt With Old Tag Back.jpg
mikesglove

Postby softball66 » September 3rd, 2010, 8:14 am

Very illuminating site. . . and most helpful. Wonder how determination was made on "exact" dates? Clues?
:?: :?: :?:
softball66

Postby mikesglove » September 10th, 2010, 3:21 am

mikesglove wrote:
Found this by accident while trying to find some history of the intermixing of D&M-Goldsmith-MacGregor companies. This website just popped-up and is so cool. The website goes into minute details of cloth patches. I think Brett for one would enjoy it: http://www.antiquesportscollector.com/TagsMain.html
I posted this website because I thought it would be fun to date old uniforms. This particular team uniform top "Doe Run" has a nice Spalding patch that according to the website dates it at 1911-1913. I don't recall the ebay listing as giving any sort of date. I know there a few people on this forum who collect uniforms in addition to gloves
spalding 1911.jpg
spalding 1911.jpg (17.9 KiB) Viewed 5032 times
B2K1VtEGkKGrHqVhkE76BEpQBMhYIZoUw_3.JPG
B2K1UQgCGkKGrHqZiEqhNZCoBMhYH72ECw_3.JPG
mikesglove

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool