Sonnett Box

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Sonnett Box

Postby Artemisbeard » August 27th, 2010, 8:16 am

I have an old Sonnett glove box. It is in pretty good condition and it has the following info on it. It is a fielders glove, price is $8.95 and what I believe is the model number is K8F. Any idea what glove came in the box? I hope the K is for Kuenn!!! I have a nice Harvey.
Artemisbeard
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Sonnett Box

Postby vintagebrett » August 27th, 2010, 12:42 pm

In the 1957 Catalog the K4F is an Erine Banks, in 1958 the K5F is a Banks. I don't have 1959 but in 1960 they weren't using that model number anymore. The Kuenns were either an HK or a JD4 or JD5 (the ones I've seen). If you ever want to get rid of the box, I can recommend an excellent retirement home for Sonnett boxes. :)
Attachments
k4fsonnettbox.jpeg
k5fsonnettbox.jpeg
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Artemisbeard » August 27th, 2010, 2:06 pm

Brett,

The box isn't mine. It belongs to an antique dealer in Detroit who asked my opinion on the box and the glove that came in the box. There was a glove in the box. But the glove was a Globe. The Globe had Stan Rojak's signature on the front. He played for the Dodgers at SS. He wants to sell it and I suspect you would like to buy it. His number is 313-554-1012 and his name is Nate. I would like the Globe because Stan is a rather obscure player and it is in decent shape. He asked me what I would giive for the thing...The seller was probably standing right there and he didn't know what to give the guy, I said the two didn't go together so the box wasn't worth too much 10-15 dollars and that Globes were low end and since it had plastic piping, I told him about the same for the glove. He is like a lot of dealers...want top $ if he can get it. Just a heads up. Let me know what happens. Dave Wallace
Artemisbeard
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » August 27th, 2010, 2:46 pm

Thanks - it would depend on the condition of the box but that is model number I don't have so I would be willing to pay a little more than normal. The eBay prices for empty Sonnett boxes are usually between 20 to 40. If you can score a good deal on box and the glove for you, I'll make it worth your while. THanks. 8)
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Artemisbeard » August 31st, 2010, 2:15 pm

Brett,

Nate has agreed to sell me the pair. I can send you the box for $35 which will include shipping. I don't think it will cost too much to ship an empty box in a box. The box is in pretty good shape. I do believe it has a tear on the edge of the flap that folds down into the box, but the adhesive sticker that says Sonnet and all the info is great. Let me know if you are interested and where to ship to. Dave
Artemisbeard
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » August 31st, 2010, 2:39 pm

Thanks so much! I sent an email to you to finalize the details.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » August 31st, 2010, 5:23 pm

Dave, I tried sending an email but it bounced back - not sure I have the correct one. Drop me a not at vintagebrett@yahoo.com Thanks
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » September 12th, 2010, 2:03 pm

Thanks to Dave for helping me add this to the collection - I love the early 50's boxes!

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby ohiofraun » December 26th, 2010, 1:02 pm

On the subject of baseball glove boxes, see picture of a Rawlings baseball glove box No. G375. but no glove. I checked the VBG Vintage Source Book and find Rawlings Catalog 1948 shows G375 Skeeter Webb. I find this at Baseball Library.com:
Skeeter was a 5'9" 150-lb, light-hitting infielder who, thanks to his fine glove, WWII, and, perhaps, his father-in-law, managed to play in 12 major league seasons. He saw much action with the White Sox during the WWII player shortage. Traded to Detroit after the 1944 season, he married manager Steve O'Neill's daughter, and was the shortstop for the 1945 World Champion Tigers. The VBG Pocket Price Guide indicates it as "very rare"
Attachments
Rawlings 1948 Glove Box skeeter webb.jpg
ohiofraun
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool