1952 Cardinals Ball

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

1952 Cardinals Ball

Postby bravesfan33 » August 2nd, 2010, 9:47 pm

My Grandfather was given this ball in 1952 when he was a kid and sick in the hospital by Wilmer "Vinegar Bend" Mizell. My grandfather's father was a preacher at the church that Mizell and his family went to and when he heard that my grandfather was sick he got the 1952 team to sign a ball for him. The signatures on the ball are as follow:
Solly Hemus, Eddie Stanky, Harry Brecheen, Stan Musial, Tommy Glaviano, Hal Rice, Del Rice, Virgil Stallcup, Dick Sisler, Joe Presko, Peanuts Lowrey, Coyd Boyer, Red Schoendeist, Les Fusselman, John Riddle, Mike Clark, Willard Schmidt, Verne Benson, Wilmer Mizell, and Cliff Chambers.
The signatures are actually in better condition than the pictures lead them on to be because the glare made them look not as vivid. I wish Enos Slaughter was on there but i don't know why he isn't. Take a look and tell me what you think.
Attachments
IMG_6149.JPG
IMG_6148.JPG
IMG_6147.JPG
IMG_6146.JPG
IMG_6145.JPG
IMG_6144.JPG
bravesfan33
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: 1952 Cardinals Ball

Postby softball66 » August 7th, 2010, 11:53 am

Nice ball and memories. I think I see Gerry Staley on the ball too. He was a fine starting pitcher for the Cards at that time. Too bad about Enos also that Ken Boyer (brother of Cloyd) was not there then too.
If you're looking for value there are books that show range of values for team balls, depending on who has signed them. I'm sure several of those players have died since then, including Mizell I believe.
Hope this helps.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool