My Uncle's Baseball Team Photo

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

My Uncle's Baseball Team Photo

Postby ScottWNJ » July 9th, 2010, 9:18 am

My sister and I were going through some old photos and came across this photo of a school baseball team. My eyes immediately locked in on the gloves in the front row. The player on the far right, third row up, was my Dad's oldest brother, Henry. I never met him, as he passed away at age 22. I believe the school was St. Francis of Rome in the Bronx, circa late 1920's early '30s. Anyway, I thought you might enjoy the photo and maybe even try to identify the gloves.

Scott
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Re: My Uncle's Baseball Team Photo

Postby GloveCrazy » July 9th, 2010, 11:04 am

Love those old non pro team pictures, and the gloves in the front row are great. Top quality gloves in great condition, too, and the uniforms are classic! It's cool your uncle is wearing a football jersey ... so rebel, so sandlot.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby ebbets55 » July 9th, 2010, 11:44 am

Great picture. My guess by looking at the gloves is 1940's. The one on the far right with the black tag looks like a George A. Reach and the double tunnel web next to him looks 40's as does that big, beautiful top of the line basemitt. Looks like a Frank McCormick Goldsmith or military issue to me. Anybody else agree or disagree? Just my guess.
ebbets55

Postby vintagebrett » July 9th, 2010, 1:28 pm

Cool stuff - thanks for sharing. Agree with JD regarding the dating of the gloves.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby ScottWNJ » July 9th, 2010, 2:55 pm

I don't wan't to nitpick because you guys are more expert in this. What doesn't jive is the fact that my uncle was born in 1918 and died in 1939. They could be high-schoolers but it would still be mid to late 30's. So now it is a mystery!

(I love the expression on the little kid in the front row)
Scott
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby okdoak » July 9th, 2010, 4:26 pm

I would have thought 1940's also, just because most of the double tunnel web gloves I see are from that era. I have a Goldsmith triple tunnel that shows up in their 1935 catalog and I'm sure that many of our collectors have double tunnels from the '30s. Very neat picture of your Uncle and his pals. Thanks for posting it! 8) 8) 8)
okdoak

Postby GloveCrazy » July 9th, 2010, 8:25 pm

I love the expression of the kid with the basemitt, and especially the dude with his eyes shut. Is that the worst eye shut pose you have ever seen, or what? Was some eagle dive bombing him?
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool