College World Series

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

College World Series

Postby vintagebrett » June 5th, 2010, 7:25 pm

What a treat for us New Englanders - the College World Series finally made it back here for a Regional - the last time was in 1990 when I was in sixth grade. My dad, brother, Beckett and I went down for the afternoon game between UConn and Central Ct - this was the losers bracket game. My dad and brother are both CCSU grads so they were pulling for an upset. Beckett and I were just looking to enjoy a good game. Unfortunately, the game wasn't very good (25 to 5 in favor of UConn) but we had a great time despite the heat. Beckett and I took a break from our behind the dugout seats to enjoy the spacious area out in the right field in the 2nd inning. Lo and behold a foul ball came our way and Beckett was quick to recover it (yes, he grabbed it off the ground, not me). The next pitch, the batter slammed one out of the park. Although Beckett was intent on throwing the ball around, we were able to bring it home as a nice keepsake. Here's hoping he doesn't have to wait another 20 years for the CWS to come back to the area.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Re: College World Series

Postby GloveCrazy » June 5th, 2010, 7:36 pm

I'm really glad you got a chance to go and enjoyed it. I've tried to promote college baseball on my site over the years because it really is a hoot! These kids are so competitive and the rivalries are fun. We're pretty lucky out here because we have a lot of strong colleges all in a pretty small area (CS Fullerton, Long Beach State, UC Irvine, USC, UCLA, San Diego State, etc).
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Rickybulldog » June 5th, 2010, 9:15 pm

Yah Beckett! He's well on his way! :wink:
Rickybulldog

Postby vintagebrett » June 6th, 2010, 7:51 am

College baseball is a lot of fun. Connecticut has had a lot of success at the Division III level with Trinity winning the National Championship a few years back and Eastern Connecticut has won 4 times in the past 25 years. This year UConn had a tremendous season and Central Connecticut played well down the stretch to garner the automatic bid. It was great of the NCAA to grant regional to the Northeast as we haven't had the opportunity to see the CWS in 20 years.

Over the past two months we've been to a Red Sox game, the CWS, 10 or 11 high school games and a vintage baseball game. It's fun to see people playing at different levels for different reasons. The environment of the latter three are more conducive to bringing a 20 month old who wants to move around while allowing dad to see some of the game. Plus, it is cost effective to see the other levels as well.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Rickybulldog » June 6th, 2010, 3:14 pm

I remember playing Eastern Connecticut in my college baseball days. They were a great club. They would come out for their west coast swing before their actual season. I always enjoyed the huge following they had because they would be in awe of our facilities and the WARM weather.Eastern Connecticut was also responsible for one of the worst outings of my life.
My freshmen year we had to play 5-6 games in a row that week and we were short on pitching, so we "johnny wholestaffed" the Eastern Connecticut game. Everybody kept the bats quiet until my inning, the 5th, when E. Conn decided to bust out the BIG BATS! Needless to say, I could tell I was throwing hard that day because of the sizzle that the ball was making coming off the bats! I think they batted around on me and I failed to record an out (I think I saw their coach grab a helmet and a bat :shock: ). Anyway, our crowd was restless and I could hear the moans and groans of "Get him outta there!" (mostly from my parents). So, I was yanked that day. Tough day for the freshmen. LOL.
Rickybulldog

Postby GloveCrazy » June 6th, 2010, 7:03 pm

Rickybulldog wrote:I could tell I was throwing hard that day because of the sizzle that the ball was making coming off the bats! I think they batted around on me and I failed to record an out (I think I saw their coach grab a helmet and a bat :shock: ). Anyway, our crowd was restless and I could hear the moans and groans of "Get him outta there!" (mostly from my parents).

:D Laughed my butt off. The funniest stories are the ones based on reality (which is maybe why your captions possibly missed the mark). Man I'll bet that 45 minutes felt like an eternity. How many times did you glance to the bullpen hoping -- preying -- someone was warming up?
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Rickybulldog » June 6th, 2010, 8:59 pm

GloveCrazy wrote::D Laughed my butt off. The funniest stories are the ones based on reality (which is maybe why your captions possibly missed the mark). Man I'll bet that 45 minutes felt like an eternity. How many times did you glance to the bullpen hoping -- preying -- someone was warming up?

No joke. Longest one inning in my life. I looked to the bull pen area and my hopes were high when I saw someone in a University of Redlands hat stretching! Unfortunately it was the grounds crew guy getting ready to lift the L screen! :shock: :cry: :cry:
Rickybulldog

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool