Rolled lace web on BB card

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Rolled lace web on BB card

Postby okdoak » May 14th, 2010, 11:24 pm

It's been a long time since I bought a card, but I liked this one. I want that glove!

okdoak
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Rolled lace web on BB card

Postby Rickybulldog » May 15th, 2010, 12:47 am

Neat card. What exactly is the memorabilia piece? Jersey? Wall padding?
Rickybulldog

Postby okdoak » May 15th, 2010, 2:26 am

I believe it's a piece of a jersey the size of a stamp. I don't understand it either. Why cut up a historically significant jersey or bat instead of putting it on display somewhere intact? What's next; chopping up Walter Johnson's game used glove? I would have paid the same $4 for the card without the tiny jersey piece anyway.
okdoak

Postby softball66 » May 16th, 2010, 11:44 am

I've got an autographed picture of Red kneeling with this rolled lace web glove. Kind of odd for middle infielder to use it because I would imagine it's hard to get the ball out of that web at times.
I've got some odds and ends photos of players in the 1950s with the rolled lace: Bob Lemon, Joe D., etc. Tommy Henrich and Eddie Yost game rolled lace gloves have shown up. Yogi wanted that rolled lace web in his mitts too.
softball66

Postby okdoak » May 16th, 2010, 1:29 pm

Can you make out which model Red's glove is from your picture, Joe?
okdoak

Postby murphusa » May 16th, 2010, 6:21 pm

lots of time when they had pictures taken the photographer would grab a glove and a bat out of the dogout and use them for the photo's and baseball cards

over the years we in the bat world had many a discussion of why would a small from player use a John Mize or other larger players bat because he was pictured with one
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby softball66 » May 19th, 2010, 8:02 am

Murph's absolutely right about "grab a bat". That hit me one days when I saw picture of threesome, Berra with a Skowron bat, Maris with a Tresh and Mantle with a Richardson bat.
No, unfortunately Red had his wrist opening side turned and Lemon was too far away. I will take another look though.
I think in determining photo matching for game use, one needs to be aware of this. Players posed for their endorsement company and glove is prominent i.e. MacGregors but
not used in games. Vs. gamer shots (more difficult to determine brand etc. because of graininess, how the glove is turned). I think grab a bat was more common than grab a glove
for a photo op but did happen. :roll:
softball66

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool