The book "Pop Flies and line drives."

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

The book "Pop Flies and line drives."

Postby softball66 » April 30th, 2010, 9:19 am

For you collectors who like to read about players from the 1950s, friend John Graham gave me an informative and friendly book by Jack Heyde, who visited and personally interviewed ML players of his childhood from the 1950s, from Max Lanier to Jim Brosnan for their various thoughts on the game and their careers. Most acknowledge that the game has changed much in the past 50 years, financially
and on the ball diamonds. May be available on the internet. A good catch!
Joe P. :lol:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: The book "Pop Flies and line drives."

Postby softball66 » April 30th, 2010, 2:21 pm

An excerpt from interview with Matt Batts in "Pop Flies">>
Batts goes to his memorabilia case is, containing mask, chest protector, shin guards, spikes and catchers mitt. ) . . .
He opens the door to the case and hands me the fielders glove. Examining the glove I notice that it is a Bob Dillinger model glove. The back of the glove contains 12-15 autographs of former Red Sox players: Ted Williams, Bobby Doerr, Johnny Pesky. . . Matt tells me that glove was given to him by Ted Williams.
Later Matt explains that his catchers mitt had been stolen and later turned up in an auction and the buyer of the mitt returned it to Batts. Matt was skeptical but put his hand in it and knew it was
his. . .
Seems like lots of gamer Rawlings Dillingers, Rolfes show up from 50s players.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool