For your splendid splinter

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

For your splendid splinter

Postby Rickybulldog » March 7th, 2010, 12:02 am

Rob Mucha won this on Ebay a few years back and I had to get it in trade. I love old baseball advertisement stuff and this oddball item fits well in my collection.
How bout this Ted Williams prophylactic! :shock:
Attachments
Boing.JPG
Rickybulldog
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: For your splendid splinter

Postby vintagebrett » March 7th, 2010, 8:19 pm

Trade? Yeah, whatever. I picture the deal went down more like this:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/21813/the-sim ... -fireworks

(see, there is a simpsons reference for everything - could have gone with abe finding one on the ground but this one was funnier)
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Mitt » March 7th, 2010, 10:49 pm

Love that scene!
Mr. Mitt

Postby candlestick » March 10th, 2010, 2:59 pm

wonder how much the splinter got paid for that endorsement? more to the point i wonder if he ever vouched for the product? considering how close he was to his mother i wonder if she ever knew?
candlestick
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby okdoak » March 11th, 2010, 1:44 pm

Much as I thought I could stay away from this post, I just can't. Like watching the proverbial train wreck? In the book Game Time, Roger Angell recalls a conversation he had with Ted at the Red Sox spring training camp in 1985. Ted as usual was complaining the players weren't concentrating on hitting because they spent too much time concentrating on the opposite sex. He claimed that the reason he had his great rookie season was because he worked so hard on his hitting that he didn't have time for the ladies. Of course, the fact that he hit .406 two years later kind of shoots that theory down. :wink:
okdoak

Postby GloveCrazy » June 13th, 2010, 8:42 pm

vintagebrett wrote:Trade? Yeah, whatever. I picture the deal went down more like this:

Really Brett? You have an image of me like Abu with some back room full of condoms? Funny link, though ... what a great takeoff of the Summer of '42 condom buying scene. As for you, Mr. Bulldog, feel free to use my first and last name on the great things you get from me, too. :)
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby ebbets55 » June 14th, 2010, 10:59 am

Love the Simpsons American Graffiti reference when Toad went to the liquor store to buy a bottle of Old Harper. Love that movie only my '55 Chevy was never as fast as Harrison Ford's.

JD
ebbets55

Postby GloveCrazy » June 14th, 2010, 11:56 am

That's right, the Old Harper part sounded familiar. Pretty creative bit.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby vintagebrett » June 14th, 2010, 2:08 pm

Old Harper? Isn't that the only thing keeping USC fans going these days. :twisted:
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby GloveCrazy » June 14th, 2010, 2:13 pm

vintagebrett wrote:Old Harper? Isn't that the only thing keeping USC fans going these days. :twisted:

Oh I see how it is, kick us when we're down (I'm PO'd to the core about the sanctions). You still teachin' me a lesson for spelling sonet' wrong?
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby vintagebrett » June 14th, 2010, 2:53 pm

You played with fire you're bound to be burned. It's too bad that the current players have to suffer for past transgressions and the overseer of the program is off coaching in the NFL making millions of dollars. Ultimately the school is at fault because they are the ones who hired the coaches and were supposed to be watching. Oh well. I'm hoping they level the same kind of sanctions on the UConn men's basketball team because the head coach has been belligerent about the whole situation.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby GloveCrazy » June 14th, 2010, 3:21 pm

I hear ya, but in this case playing with fire was an agent giving benefits to ONE player's out-of-town parents (in hopes of eventually signing him before the draft). There is no evidence supporting that anyone on USC directed the activity, and only conflicting evidence that a minor coach had heard about it significantly after the fact. I'd find it really hard to believe that this type of situation isn't happeneing all around the country (which I don't condone). Maybe USC football should have been sanctioned a little for lack of overall controls, but the level of sanctions were unprecendented given the lack of evidence and connection to the team (2 years no bowls, 30 scholarships?). In my opinion Reggie Bush is the one who should be more sanctioned (and his parents for tax evasion). The paradox is that they just signed another big recruit over the weekend. I'm hoping that the dynasty continues on, regarldess of NCAA bullying.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool