Not a glove but not cool

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Not a glove but not cool

Postby softball66 » December 8th, 2009, 9:32 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pete-Rose-1980s-Gam ... _500wt_956

I wrote to this ebay seller of his "Game Used Pete Rose" bat that his bat was not a game used Pete Rose bat but have had no response. He has a bid for $49.
Not only is he misrepresenting his bat but he also cannot spell. Surprisingly he has a Duke Snider and Willie May signed bats which he insists are "Not" game used. So, he knows the difference.
:(
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

bats

Postby murphusa » December 8th, 2009, 12:06 pm

saw a Mickey Medwick bat listed over the weekend saying it was from the 1914 to 1917 era. Told the guy that Medwick was born in 1911 and he had a bat made after 1932, he told me to mind my own business
murphusa

Postby vintagebrett » December 8th, 2009, 4:10 pm

eBay listings offer more humor than the comics in the newspaper these days.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Sold To American!

Postby softball66 » December 9th, 2009, 8:56 am

The "As Descibed" Game Used Rose bat sold for $128, about $100 more than it should have, it being a store or retail Rose bat. PR4. Meaning also that more than one bidder thought the bat was: as titled "Game Used Pete Rose Bat" So much for the power of suggestion. I ran across this as I have a pro stock Pete Rose (too short 33") bat and described that way on eBay with only 3 watchers and no bids at $39.95. I wrote to the seller of this incorrectly described bat but received no response as I anticipated. But . . . what can you expect from someone who can't even spell? Wonder if it will be sent to an authenticator for verification or simply re-listed the same way later?
:roll: :roll: :roll:
softball66

Postby murphusa » December 9th, 2009, 12:01 pm

over the years I have gotten some funny responses when I tried to correct a listing. Since the bat was used and more than likely in a game isn't it game used?????
murphusa

Right you are

Postby softball66 » December 9th, 2009, 2:40 pm

Yes, you're absolutely right and I was ready for that comeback. But 75 %
of a all player endorsed store bats could have the same "MISLEADING" heading. Game Used Babe Ruth bat (used by Mortimer Snurd). Now this same seller was clear on his other listed autograph bats about saying they weren't game used bats. So he knew what he was doing. And made 100 bucks for himself. Only problem, and this guy doesn't have 100% feedback, is if the buyer believes it's a Pete Rose gamer and gets it checked out.
Yes, I'm sure you and I and many of the more honest questioners can write a book on responses to our helpful questions to ebay sellers.
:)
softball66

Faith Lost in Bat Folks

Postby softball66 » December 11th, 2009, 8:47 am

So, here we have it. A store bat advertised as a Pete Rose Gamer sells for $129 and a pro stock Pete Rose bat of the 1970s goes for naught, not a bid at $39. The power of sizzle, though incorrect, was more potent than an honest though somewhat negative write up on the more serious bat and yes, the pro stock was an inch shorter, 33" to 34" than for the store bat. Game used on the Pro H&B? heck yes! Ball marks on it. Best idea now is to get Pete to sign it. This is the second time on eBay that I've written a truthful, yet somewhat negative description and have the item turned away by ebay bidders. On that, a a glove, I took out the the negative, smart-aleck copy and changed it some advertising smack and away she went. But, I'd rather be honest than make a sale. Sorry. :roll:
softball66

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool