Hall of fame ballot

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Hall of fame ballot

Postby Rickybulldog » November 27th, 2009, 5:53 pm

Up this time for MLB Hall of Fame ballot:

Roberto Alomar¹ Don Mattingly
Kevin Appier¹ Fred McGriff¹
Harold Baines Mark McGwire
Bert Blyleven Jack Morris
Ellis Burks¹ Dale Murphy
Andre Dawson Dave Parker
Andres Galarraga¹ Tim Raines
Pat Hentgen¹ Shane Reynolds¹
Mike Jackson¹ David Segui¹
Eric Karros¹ Lee Smith
Ray Lankford¹ Alan Trammell
Barry Larkin¹ Robin Ventura¹
Edgar Martinez¹ Todd Zeile¹

Any thoughts? I say Alomar for sure.
Rickybulldog
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby AkBandit » November 27th, 2009, 7:18 pm

I have a pick three.

Roberto Alomar
Andre Dawson
Lee Smith
AkBandit

Postby Number9 » November 27th, 2009, 7:57 pm

I say Dawson and Blyleven get in.

I'd don't think Alomar makes it on the first ballot, though, with so few marquee names, it would not surprise me if either he or Larkin do get in.
Number9

Postby vintagebrett » November 27th, 2009, 8:20 pm

I say no one gets in this year. Alomar will get in but because of the spitting incident - I say the writers wait a year to induct him.

If anyone does get in this year, I agree it will be Dawson and/or Blyleven. Edgar Martinez might have an outsiders chance but I don't think first ballot.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby oldballfan » November 27th, 2009, 9:18 pm

This year I think Bert Blyleven, Andre Dawson, and Lee Smith will get in.
Dave Parker will get close, his total numbers surprised me.
George Frazier, pitcher 1978 - 1987......
I don't put any foreign substances on the baseball. Everything I use is from the good old U.S.A.
oldballfan
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Studboy » November 27th, 2009, 11:51 pm

That's a weak class, this may be the year for Blyleven? But I'm from the school that you are either a Hall of Famer or your not & he's missed out something like 12 years now, so is he really a Hall of Famer? I know Jim Rice made it last year on his 15th ballot.....really! I'd think Murphy, Dawson & Mattingly's careers are similar to that of Rice's. Very dominant players for a 5-6 year span & just pretty good for the rest, so it may take those guys a few more years. Was Blyleven EVER dominant? I know his career numbers look large but I don't ever remember him as a dominant pitcher. I'm with Brett...my vote is for nobody this year.
Studboy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby ScottWNJ » November 28th, 2009, 12:31 am

It is a very weak list. But i'll go with one of these three; Alomar, Murphy, McGwire (yes McGwire)
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby murphusa » November 28th, 2009, 12:34 am

Mark McGwire, during his time the drugs he was using were not against the rules. He didn't hide it as the powers were in his locker for all to see.

In the couple of years when Sosa and Mark made their run on the records books, they saved baseball.

Selig and his crew had screwed things up with the strike in 1995, even canceling the World Series, when they came back in 1996 the crowds stayed away and it wasn't until the home run hitters exploded in 97 did the game come to the light of a whole new generation of baseball fans and the game has held them ever since.

Without McGwire baseball could have become a minor sport in the US
murphusa

Postby Deacon » November 28th, 2009, 10:11 am

It would be a good year for "the Boss"

Love him or hate him, Steinbrenner belongs in the HOF.
Deacon
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby robin_buckeye » December 4th, 2009, 9:10 pm

Larkin -- best (or close to it) SS in the game for 10-12 years, MVP, WS Winner, multiple Gold Glove & Silver Slugger awards, same team entire career, good influence in the clubhouse, dugout & on the field.
robin_buckeye
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: Hall of fame ballot

Postby GloveCrazy » December 29th, 2009, 4:10 pm

Ricky spurred me to post because he knows Bert Blyleven in the Hall of Fame is my quest ... I think Blyleven is an absolute lock, not a grey area guy. 5th all-time in strikeouts and 242 complete games are absolutely historically significant! Let me say it a different way 35.3% of his games were complete games, and when he retired he was third ALL-TIME in strikouts (and way ahead of a lot of other "locks"). Only Cy Young and Walter Johnson were ahead of him!

You don't like numbers? Well he had what was and is still considered the best right handed curveball in modern baseball history. Rookie of the year and comeback player of the year awards ... longevity is good! Two World Series wins, and for you glove guys, better fielding percentage than Maddux (which I throw in only because its a glove forum).

There are legitimate answers to ALL the little statistical knocks against him, and it's eye-opening to many who take the time to compare his stats against the locks from his era (which is my sweet-spot era). To compare against pitchers of his era: http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/20 ... of_fam.php

I hear you that 287 wins is not automatic, but he had an additional 178 Quality Starts (6 inning pitched, 3 or less earned runs) for which he only had partial control of the outcome of the game (his team needs to score runs). If he played significant time with teams who could score runs he'd be way over 300 wins, and if he had pitched for the Yankees he'd have been President by now. For you guys who didn't follow the American league in that era, take it from me, your team never wanted to face him ... even later in his career.

I also like http://www.bertbelongs.com

As for the other guys I'd vote for Andre Dawson and probably Roberto Alomar, too!
Last edited by GloveCrazy on April 14th, 2010, 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby vintagebrett » January 6th, 2010, 3:11 pm

Rob, are you OK - your man only missed by only a couple votes - you must be upset! :lol:

Only one this year. Cubs fans must be happy - having a player elected is like winning a World Series to them. Oh wait, they wouldn't know how that feels. 8)
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Number9 » January 6th, 2010, 4:34 pm

I'm amazed that Blyleven didn't get in this year. No doubt in my mind that he'll get in next year though.

For me, this ranks just below Buck O'Neil missing by one vote. At least Bert gets a couple more chances.
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9

Postby murphusa » January 6th, 2010, 6:31 pm

if you are not good enough to get in on your first chance you don't deserve it. You didn't get better
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby GloveCrazy » January 6th, 2010, 7:21 pm

I'm actually happy for Andre Dawson but the whole thing is a bunch of hooey. I get pissed every year for one person or many. I'm a baseball guy but the other sports -- especially the NFL -- does a much better job. All I know is that a bunch of baseball sports writers don't know squat, but at least the group got 12% smarter this year related to Blyleven. Maybe it takes 14 years for a sportswriter to understand the dozen or so main statistics that it takes to do a reasonably objective job, or 14 years of the stubborn-mule gut-feeling sports writers to retire. He'll probably get in next year but that is such a farce on many levels (though he is clearly deserving). Alomar will likely get in, too, but there's always the first ballot sports writer lackeys that automatically leave everone -- except Babe Ruth -- off on the first ballot. The fact that most of the absolute no-brainer locks didn't get in unanimously says as much about the voting as anything. Hooey.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Next

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool