Hall of fame ballot

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Re: Hall of fame ballot

Postby ebbets55 » January 5th, 2011, 2:42 pm

We had our annual Christmas Eve discussion on pop's ballot. He didn't vote for him. He still has one more year if he doesn't make it this year. There were some tough decisions on the ballot this year. The roids guys are starting to show up with Palmeiro and Bagwell (unknown). I think the concensus among my family was that they will eventually need to get in (second year), just not on the first ballot and I hate the argument people use when they say, "They either are a Hall of Famer or they aren't." Other candidates were Roberto Alomar, Edgar Martinez and Larry Walker and Barry Larkin seems to be gaining momentum. Hmmm.

JD
ebbets55
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Number9 » January 5th, 2011, 3:19 pm

I agree JD, the numbers never change but the perspective on their accomplishments and the context of their careers are always changing. With Blyleven getting the nod this year it's nice to see the writers acknowledge something besides magic numbers.
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9

Postby vintagebrett » January 5th, 2011, 3:29 pm

Congrats to glovecrazy who finally got his man in the hall!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby GloveCrazy » January 5th, 2011, 6:19 pm

vintagebrett wrote:I wonder if glovecrazy is nervously twiddling his thumbs hoping today is finally the day for Bert? :lol:

I wish it were just one day ... I've been nervous all week! It's hard to explain why I have been so invested in Bert other than he was one of the main guys I loved to watch, even though he always beat my teams and we could never get him out of a game. His curveball was absolutely wicked! Yes, his overall statistics had some warts (almost all in do), and some numbers were boosted a little by longevity (and others hurt), but the sabrematic stats prove how dominant he was for an extended period of time. This is a good day for me, and I may even try to attend the induction ceremony. :-)
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Number9 » January 5th, 2011, 6:53 pm

Rob, I hope you can make it out. It's a great weekend. I go to Induction every summer and know the town well. Let me be your beer guide. :D
Huntington Base Ball Co.
Number9

Postby GloveCrazy » January 5th, 2011, 7:14 pm

Number9 wrote:Rob, I hope you can make it out. It's a great weekend. I go to Induction every summer and know the town well. Let me be your beer guide. :D

That's what I'm talking about! Ricky, you up for a little road trip? BYO hot foot ... a Blyleven thing.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Rickybulldog » January 5th, 2011, 9:08 pm

GloveCrazy wrote:That's what I'm talking about! Ricky, you up for a little road trip? BYO hot foot ... a Blyleven thing.

Something tells me I need to be properly dressed for this occasion. Gotta get my beard game right!
Attachments
bbrob.jpg
Rickybulldog

Postby Rickybulldog » January 5th, 2011, 9:36 pm

I sent this to Rob earlier today. It cracked me up! Congrats buddy!
Rickybulldog

Postby GloveCrazy » January 6th, 2011, 11:56 am

I don't know, Ricky, I don't think Bert will be hanging out with us or anything. Better start that beard now because it looks pretty full. Your picture reminds me of someone ...
Attachments
Rickey-mays.jpg
Rickey-mays.jpg (19.57 KiB) Viewed 13041 times
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby vintagebrett » April 10th, 2011, 1:54 pm

I see that Terry Cashman's song "Talkin' Baseball" is being inducted into the Hall of Fame this summer. Does that mean that this classic gets in by association?

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Number9 » April 10th, 2011, 2:29 pm

I gotta say, a huge portion of my Red Sox fandom died the day that Terry Cashman sang Talkin Red Sox on Opening Day in 2005. He completely ruined my favorite baseball memory with that stupid song. I still cringe.
Huntington Base Ball Co.
Number9

Postby GloveCrazy » April 10th, 2011, 2:57 pm

I don't know, I actually like the song which is hard to believe given my affection for more aggressive musical stylings, but I could see how seeing it sung live could be a total buzz kill. It's the kind of song the should be played at the ticket gates, like the Padres do with the Centerfield song. It's interesting to see who the stars were in the Simspson's version, including such legends as Steve Sax and Darryl Strawberry. Unfortunatly, inlcuding those two gets it banned from HOF consideration.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Number9 » April 10th, 2011, 7:13 pm

Talkin Baseball is a fine little ditty. I think there was a movie of the same name that I repeatedly rented from the video store in the 80's. Probably could have purchased it ten times over for the price my parents paid to rent it. Still a feel good song that reminds me of my baseball roots. No regrets.

Talkin Red Sox (actual title is (This is for) Teddy Ballgame) is a whole other sub-level, made much worse by the fact that I'm no longer 8. Check it out on itunes.

Speaking of baseball songs; aside from Centerfield, are there any halfway decent songs out there? Anything in the last 20-30 years?
Huntington Base Ball Co.
Number9

Postby vintagebrett » April 10th, 2011, 7:38 pm

Number9 wrote: Speaking of baseball songs; aside from Centerfield, are there any halfway decent songs out there? Anything in the last 20-30 years?

Check out the Baseball Projects albums - they write some good tunes, all baseball related. While not recent, my brothers and I grew up listening to Baseball's Greatest Hits Vol. 1 and 2 - I think they may be out of print now but tons of great songs. I always liked Talkin' Baseball because of the line "Now Brett is the Greatest." :) My brothers and I also made our own music videos of these songs - I hope those never see the light of day again.

Is this song induction a new thing? I know Centerfield went in last year. This year Talkin' Baseball. If it's not in already, A Dying Cub Fans Last Request by Steve Goodman should be next.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby murphusa » April 10th, 2011, 11:33 pm

. Meeker's recording of Take Me Out to the Ballgame was selected by the Library of Congress as a 2010 addition to the National Recording Registry, which selects recordings annually that are "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".[7]
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

PreviousNext

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool