Hall of fame ballot

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Re: Hall of fame ballot

Postby AkBandit » April 11th, 2011, 10:15 am

Here is a clip of 10 baseball related songs. "Who's On First" isn't a song, but a classic anyway.

AkBandit

Postby okdoak » April 15th, 2011, 10:14 pm

It's not a song about baseball, but "Mrs. Robinson" by Simon and Garfunkel has the famous "Where have you gone Joe Dimaggio?" line. Growing up, Paul Simon idolized Mickey Mantle and when he was asked why he didn't reference Mantle instead, he replied "Syllables. It just didn't work." More songs not about baseball:
Meatloaf's "Paradise By the Dashboard Light" with Phil Rizutto doing the play-by-play in the background and Don Henley's "The Boys of Summer." Anyone remember the 70's band named "Babe Ruth" and their album "First Base"?
okdoak
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby okdoak » April 15th, 2011, 10:46 pm

Just remembered Southern rocker Elvin Bishop's "Travelin' Shoes." One of his live versions has him threatening his "mean old lady" with "gonna grab Hank Aaron's baseball bat and hit her upside her head." They don't write 'em like that anymore. :)
okdoak

Postby Kenny Wel » April 16th, 2011, 7:58 am

Dire Straights: "Sometimes you the Louisville Slugger. Sometimes your the ball. Sometimes it all comes together. Sometimes your gonna loose it all."

Ken
Kenny Wel
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » January 9th, 2012, 4:09 pm

Looks like Larkin is the only one this year. Bagwell picked up a little ground - maybe the CT product gets the nod in a few years. Next year should be interesting.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby GloveCrazy » January 10th, 2012, 12:49 pm

I'm pretty neutral about Larkin going in. His career looks a lot like Alan Trammel's to me, who I'm ok with also going in the Hall but figured Trammel would have gone first. Speaking of unloved Tigers, it was good to see Morris increase this year as I think he belongs and will exentually get in. I was a little surprised to see McGwire's numbers drop. The only new news this past year about McGwire is that he apologized, took a job as a hitting coach, and won the World series in that capacity so dropping didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I've seen a lot of comments about writer's holding out Clemens and Bonds, too, which will be interesting. For the record, I believe a HOF without Clemens and Bonds would be an absolute farce.

Joe Posnanski of Sports Illustrated.com is one of my favorite writers regarding Hall of Fame voting, and wrote a real interesting piece about the history of the voting and how the upcoming dilemma has sort of played out several times in the past: http://joeposnanski.si.com/2012/01/03/the-future-and-past-of-the-hall-of-fame/ Check out his archive for other very detailed studies on the subject.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Previous

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool