Autographed Baseballs

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Autographed Baseballs

Postby baseballdad » November 9th, 2009, 7:18 pm

I'm thinking of collecting some autographed baseballs. I'll probably be doing it online. I was wondering if others know of reputable places online, where I can be certain I'm not being duped.

Also, back in the 80s, when I was growing up. They used to have baseball shows, with cards sellers, autographs, frequently retired ball players their signing autographs. Do they still do that kind of thing? I really don't hear about them much. Maybe I'm just not looking the right places, though.

Thanks for any info/advice you might be able to provide.
baseballdad
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » November 9th, 2009, 8:06 pm

Don't know any reputable dealers in that area - I wouldn't trust it unless I saw the person sign it in front of me.

Here's a link to find signings near you
http://www.signingshotline.com/
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Number9 » November 9th, 2009, 10:36 pm

I'd recommend first putting together a list of the players that you'd like to collect. Then learn the various styles and signing habits of that player. You should plan on spending your first year studying and observing and commit yourself to only adding in-person autographs to your collection. Then, as you learn, you can cross names off your shopping list. Knowing what you are buying is the key to having fun with autographs.

Here's another forum. It can be pretty immature at times, but there are knowledgeable people on there as well. You can ask questions here and get pretty reliable answers.

http://www.sportscollectors.net/

Signingshotline.com also has a bulletin board that you can participate in. I think you have to be a paid member of both sites to post though.
Number9
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby murphusa » November 10th, 2009, 12:52 am

buy yourself a copy of the Baseball Autograph handbook from Jack Smalling

www.baseballaddresses.com

the new one just came out. Buy some balls and mail them your self to the players. The results will amaze you.

the is not one dealer in the world that can guarantee that every autograph is real.
murphusa
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool