Selig considering reinstating Pete Rose...

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Selig considering reinstating Pete Rose...

Postby rmiller » July 27th, 2009, 5:51 pm

I’m sure everyone is aware that ESPN.com is reporting that

“MLB commissioner Bud Selig appears to be "seriously considering" reinstatement for Pete Rose nearly 20 years after the hit king was banned from baseball for gambling on the sport, according to a report in the New York Daily News.”

My thoughts are that he has shown contrition, admitted wrong doing, and the ban should be lifted as a result. I used to be all for Rose being banned when he stubbornly refused to admit his guilt, and acted like a victim. Now that he has owned it, I say let the guy in.
Give us the gate key. I have no gate key.
Fezzik, tear his arms off. Oh, you mean this gate key!
rmiller
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mr. Mitt » July 27th, 2009, 11:15 pm

My attitude toward Rose is strange. I idolized him when I was younger and patterned my game after his the best I could. He played the game the way it was supposed to be played, hard nosed with a never ending desire to win. He broke the game's golden rule, however, and should be banned for life. As for contrition, he's done it for profit. I understand that most everything revolves around the dollar, but if he had gone about it in a different way, my feelings may be softer. And as for the "life" ban, precedents have been set for it to last much, much longer than life.
Mr. Mitt
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby candlestick » July 28th, 2009, 9:46 am

Pete Rose? IMHO banned for life is a good idea. Once he dies he can be reinstated and put on the ballot. It is the cardinal rule and he willingly violated it, and he willingly lied about it, then did an about face for profit.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate what he did with what he had and I think he belongs in the HoF but not so he can enjoy it.
candlestick
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Deacon » July 28th, 2009, 10:54 am

reinstate Joe Jackson first
Deacon
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby candlestick » July 28th, 2009, 4:16 pm

exactly.
candlestick
Veteran Glove Poster

Pete Rose

Postby smr1 » July 28th, 2009, 4:52 pm

Is it me or is it coincidence that Rose is starting to come up in converstation around the same time that were going to talk about the steroid users getting in (or consider letting them in) the HOF?

I think Selig created some of the mess by not addressing the "roid" issue and maybe this is his way of diverting some of the attention that he may get.

Just my thoughts.
smr1
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Number9 » July 29th, 2009, 10:05 am

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Pete Rose is the one who started this rumor. Both Pete and Bud were in Cooperstown last weekend and they most likely crossed paths. In Pete's eyes, if he bumps into Bud and mentions reinstatement, then Bud is considering it. If only for a couple seconds.

Pete has become a disgrace to baseball.
Number9
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool